Sponsored by:

a smokeing ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default a smokeing ?

hey everyone i am probly wrong to where this should be but ill try it here
i know white smoke= coolent and blue= oil and black running ritch.
but what about a light gray color? seems my car does this on start up and
when the car comes back down from a wot run. doesnt have a blue tint to it and does not smell like oil. it has kinda like a sulfer smell along with gas smell.
check a few plugs and all are dry wiht little oil on the treads but think it was left over from whe ni did the valve seals a few weeks ago. and did a leak down at same time as the seals and all cylenders was 2% or less. witch i thought was good for a 133,xxx mile car. u think this type of smoke is normel with a cam? when u see drag cars at track i see them smoke some too when there choping away with there big cams. but then again i dont know thats why im asking what u guys think as im learing as i go here.
so please any info or opions you guys may have plaese leave them and let me knwo what u think mods are in the sig
Eddie
Old 06-03-2004, 02:28 PM
10 Second Club

to the top please if any one has input please let me know
Old 06-03-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

my guess is oil.....on decelerate from WOT the cylinders are under really high vacuum on the intake stroke) so oil can get drawn past the rings.....

LOL....at times I would come up to a stop sign/light after being at WOT and it looked like a cape of fog from some vampire movie.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:50 PM
10 Second Club

might be right on the oil but i dont know everything passed the leak down test, and i did new valve seals about 3 weeks ago. doesnt smell like oil smells like sulffer and gas.
there is no blue tint to the smoke either. just like a light gray color. before i did the valve seals i was useing about a qt of oil ever 2 days if i got on it alot. and i been keeping a eye on the oil and it hasnt moved yet in 3 weeks and there alot of wot runs and stop light races in them 3 weeks. any more opions bring them on thanks
Eddie
Old 06-03-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is probablly just condensation. That will explain why it does it at only startup.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:24 PM
TECH Veteran

why would condesation be in the system once the engine is warmed up?
Old 06-03-2004, 06:49 PM
10 Second Club

i thought about it being condesation but i dont think that is it. i dont know what it is
smells like a sulfer and gas when it does smoke and the gas smell is strong.
Any more ideas keep them comming please
Old 06-03-2004, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Are you running cats? If not it will smell strong. Im with camaroguy, sounds like oil to me. Does it smoke in the higher RPM's?
Old 06-03-2004, 11:05 PM
10 Second Club

nope running mac mid headers and off road pipe. it may be oil but i dont know for sure oil has it own smell to it when it burns u can all ways smell it. this smell is not even close to it. sulfer like when u light a match and strong gas smell. is hight rpms it doesnt smoke. every now and then it will when it comes back down from a high rpm run
then it stops. it smokes most on a cold start up and if u let it idel for a bit and rump on it it will smoke one good time then u can rump on it again and it wont. i know sounds like valve seales but i dont replaced them 3 weeks ago. and since i have i havent used no oil in the 3 weeks i have had the new ones on the car.

maybe it is raw fule that it isnt burning from the cam and maybe running rich.
what do u guys think is it posable?

i checked plugs today and no oil on them and are a nice color.

keep the opions comming
Eddie
Old 06-04-2004, 10:09 AM
TECH Veteran

if its not tuned correctly its possible that its fuel but I still vote oil. Once your in closed loop operation the computer will adjust for rich/lean conditions when your out of WOT (your decel). At startup the pistons are loose in the bores so more oil will get by (smokes when cold) and as I said, on decel the low pressure area inside the cylinder can cause the rings to unload and oil can be pulled by the rings.