Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter Lock-Up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converter Lock-Up?

I have a PI Vig 2800. When the converter locks up at low speed and without any gas(coasting), it feels like a shift. I can definatly feel it lock up, it is very aggresive. When I am at part throttle, the lock up seems to be much smoother. I could not feel the stock converter lock up. Is this normal, considering the larger lock up surface? Or is this not normal?

Thanks,

AZC5
Old 06-03-2004, 03:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AZC5
I have a PI Vig 2800. When the converter locks up at low speed and without any gas(coasting), it feels like a shift. I can definatly feel it lock up, it is very aggresive. When I am at part throttle, the lock up seems to be much smoother. I could not feel the stock converter lock up. Is this normal, considering the larger lock up surface? Or is this not normal?

Thanks,

AZC5
I was under the impression that stock lock up is below idle. Trucks have a slightly higher than idle torque converter, i have a friend who put a stock S-10 converter in his car and lock up was 2000-2500.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Slowv6
I was under the impression that stock lock up is below idle. Trucks have a slightly higher than idle torque converter, i have a friend who put a stock S-10 converter in his car and lock up was 2000-2500.
I think you are referring to "stall", which is different that "lock- up". Lock up is controlled through programming, I can tell it when to lock and unlock.

A stock converter locks up just as much as an aftermarket converter. When you are doing a constant 70mph in top gear your converter is locked.

Back to the question, is the lock up supposed to be so aggresive that I can feel it through the car?

Thanks,

AZC5
Old 06-03-2004, 02:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thing is, with the stock stall speed of about
1800RPM, there's not much difference between
locked and unlocked above maybe 2KRPM. So
you would have to really pay attention to notice
the lockup. Where, even with my 3K stall TCI,
3KRPM motor is slipping in the 650RPM range,
a much bigger "bump" when it hard-couples.
The lockup clutch jams the slip-speed angular
momentum difference forward & back through
the driveline as things equalize.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

well if you go from fluid coupling to direct coupling, it would feel the same as a smooth clutch dump. It's essentially doing that. The ecu is generally programmed stock to lockup as smoothly as possible but if iirc its PWM so it could just jam the bugger from no lockup to 100% lockup pwm instantly which would be like dropping the clutch.

This of course could be good or bad on your 'lockup. and good or worse on the trans itself and driveline. Obviously at WOT and strolling along the dynamics are different
Old 06-04-2004, 07:29 AM
11 Second Club

Mine when it locks, feels like a shift. Normal.