Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need Help, I think its the Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help, I think its the Alternator

I just got my car back with the new block on Saturday, today with 600 miles on the new block i was at the taco bell drive through with a friend. We were waiting for our food when the guages started flipping out. The Tach and Speedo were going from 0 to 7000 RPM 155 MPH and all the service lights were coming on and off. The car idled fine and seemed ok. I couldnt check the voltage because it too was going crazy. It kept doing it, we got our food and i drove out into a parking lot where i killed the car. When i tried to restart it it wouldnt start. I jumped it off with a portable jumper box and it fired up but only pulled about 10 volts. We figured to try to make it home. I got about 5 miles down the road and the voltage had dropped to about 4 volts way in the red. It was still running well though even the guages were still funny and my trip odometer had reset itself. I finally hit a red light and when i slowed down enough in neutral she died. Now when i start her i have to keep the revs up around 2500 just to keep her alive. Finally i gave up and called AAA and towed her home for 45.00 bucks. Im about to go out and rip into it but wanted to see what you guys thought. I am running an ASP crank pulley and a Mezeire Water pump but for the last 600 miles shes been fine
Old 06-03-2004, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get it running and when it is, disconnect the battery. If the car dies, its the alternator or a wire going to/from the alternator has a short.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Resident

Check your battery and make sure your pos and neg wires are connected snug too. I had this same problem and it turned out my pos wire had worked itself loose.
Old 06-07-2004, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
Check your battery and make sure your pos and neg wires are connected snug too. I had this same problem and it turned out my pos wire had worked itself loose.
Sounds kinda familiar...i just bought a new optima yellow top on saturday. When I took my car out of storage this summer the + battery cable was sooo corroded. I took a wire brush and some coke, but it wasnt enough. The gauges would flip out like you said and it wouldnt start. Id go buy some battery cleaner and protector from murrays, it was like 3 bucks and worked way better than the coke. and the protector keeps it from corroding more. sounds like the battery cable to me, but could be alt./batt.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ended up being Alt and Battery. I bought a new Optima Red Top and will be buying a new alt this week. Thanks for the help.
Scoobs