Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Followup to Broken Valve Springs After 120 Miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Followup to Broken Valve Springs After 120 Miles

The original thread got locked since some people couldn't behave themselves, but this is a followup to this thread:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...7&page=1&pp=40

I helped Barchetta put this motor together, and after the first spring broke, he called Terry and as promised, Terry overnighted out a new set of the gold springs, retainers, valve seats, etc all expenses paid.

The car had a dyno appointment this morning (Friday) at 9am at Speed Inc, and we got the parts yesterday (Thursday). Before we got home from work, got the air compressor hooked up and ready to start changint the springs, it was already 8 at night. After a blown fuse in the garage and a few delays, we got the intake and exhaust springs changed on the affected cylinder.

Realizing that we were going to have to rush to get the other 14 springs changed, we thought it would be better to button up the engine and get it running with just 2 new springs and the original 14, so we could get it to Speed Inc for the dyno, and then change the rest of the springs when we weren't rushed.

Anyway, got the car running around midnight and all is well. The engine purrs like a kitten with no other bad side effects.

So this morning we were heading up 355 right past the Army Trail toll plaza and the engine started acting up again. Flashing SES, misfire, engine stumbling all over itself. Uh oh, another broken valve spring(s).

I guess our gamble didn't work. We were so close to Speed Inc, I had Barchetta follow me the rest of the way there and we ended up leaving the car there to have the guys at the shop change the rest of the 14 springs and then do the dyno.

The purpose of this thread isn't to point blame at anyone or to criticize anyone's product. I just wanted to put the facts out there and to let people know that this story doesn't have a happy ending. Barchetta is pretty upset about the whole ordeal so I thought it would be better if I stated what happened since I'm less emotional about it.

Terry did as promised and handled this as he did with all the other bad springs, so I personally don't blame him, but it just amazes me that these springs are so fragile that they break so easily. For what its worth, the car was probably running no higher than 2000 RPM when this second spring broke.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well duh you couldve seen that one comin man I wouldve just made the mad dash to get it done or just rescheduled...he knew he was gonna hit the dyno and have to pull to nearly 7 grand several times. I personally dont think its the springs that were having the issue...if the rocker is leaning against the retainer its putting pressure at more than one angle, if it'll chew through a titanium retainer it'll break a spring ah well looks like youve got more work ahead of ya...hope ya had AAA lol Just be lucky both springs didnt let go & let a valve drop and destroy the engine...wed have another PROBLEMS WITH PATRIOT HEADS thread lol
Old 06-04-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

There's now way I wouldn't have driven it without all of the springs replaced let alone take it to be flogged it on the dyno!

It's too risky. One dropped valve and you could destroy the entire motor.

Keep us updated!
Old 06-04-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

PS, those springs are pretty inadequate, I'm glad ya'll got a new set.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand that we should have changed the other 14, and believe me, we wanted to. This wasn't a case of being lazy though, we simply didn't have enough time. Perhaps other dyno shops have a less cluttered schedule than Speed Inc, but these guys typically have a minimum 6-8 week backlog of work to do. If we missed this dyno opportunity, it would have been a while before it could have been rescheduled, and since we're talking about the night before, its not like we could have called them to let them know we weren't coming had we dropped a valve or something.

Our thinking was, yeah, these were crap springs, however maybe it was a fluke that one broke so easily. We had every intention of changing the rest, we just thought maybe the others would hold up to 50 more miles and a couple dyno pulls...guess not.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see where your coming from and that situation sucks but man it only takes like 1.5 hours or so to change the springs tops. As long as it's up and running good now then you should be all set. What did the car dyno?

-Sly
Old 06-04-2004, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

I hate to say this, but when the guy selling the springs comes on here and tells you that they are no good and to replace them.. then you try to run remainder of them after that.. Holy **** you have to be kidding me? I wouldn't put a set of those old springs on my freaking lawn mower and pretty much everyone else in the old thread said that too, but you two decided that they'd be ok on his car? Remind me to NEVER let you guys work on any of my ****.

EDIT: you can take the above as a bash or not.. but it should be a wakeup call to all the guys out there that think they can take shortcuts on a car with an engine that costs several thousand dollars to replace. Especially doing a half assed job on something as critical as valvesprings. Some people on this board never cease to amaze me.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gomer
I hate to say this, but when the guy selling the springs comes on here and tells you that they are no good and to replace them.. then you try to run remainder of them after that.. Holy **** you have to be kidding me? I wouldn't put a set of those old springs on my freaking lawn mower and pretty much everyone else in the old thread said that too, but you two decided that they'd be ok on his car? Remind me to NEVER let you guys work on any of my ****.

EDIT: you can take the above as a bash or not.. but it should be a wakeup call to all the guys out there that think they can take shortcuts on a car with an engine that costs several thousand dollars to replace. Especially doing a half assed job on something as critical as valvesprings. Some people on this board never cease to amaze me.
Never thought I would agree with you... but for a first I do

Figure you are gonna pay now, or pay later... When I had a REV let go off their first batch, it seemed like days later more started going so I Decided that instead of one warrantied spring I wanted a new set... The scarry thing was that the springs were breaking in my compressor as I was taking them off! IMO if one goes, scrap the rest after that incedent
Old 06-05-2004, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Constrictor 98TA
This wasn't a case of being lazy though, we simply didn't have enough time.
Just re-schedule it. It's not worth the risk unless you have disposable income

Hindsight is always 20/20 but I can see why ya'll had the feeling it was a fluke, some 918s broke w/in 500 miles but the rest were fine. I'm just one of those people that will not fire up the car, or finish whatever unless it's done right, regardless if it means delays.

I hope the valves didn't contact the pistons.

Let us know how the tune turns out on the dyno.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SSOnYourSix
The scarry thing was that the springs were breaking in my compressor as I was taking them off! IMO if one goes, scrap the rest after that incedent
Good lord, what kind of cheap springs were those? Were they ever tested on the heads for functionality before they were released?

I'm glad they got rid of those.