Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Smell of Gasonline after Exhaust Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Strange Smell of Gasonline after Exhaust Install

Hey guys. I just got done bolting on my LoudMouth and I must say I couldn't be happier with it. One problem, though. I've noticed a slight smell of gasoline when I'm running it that was never apparent before.

My question is does this mean that there is a leak in the pipe somewhere? I cranked the pipes down tight as can be, but are there any torque specs anywhere? Didn't see any on the SLP manual.

Any suggestions/answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-05-2004, 02:32 PM
12 Second Club

I'm not sure about the lm system, but i just put a hooker system on, and there is also a funny smell--I'm pretty sure its just burning crap of the muffler-you know, breaking it in. Mine doesn't smell like gas though...maybe yours smells different because it has a "resonator" instead of a muffler.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

did you retain your factory cats or did you delete them when you intalled the system?
Old 06-05-2004, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS6snake-eater
did you retain your factory cats or did you delete them when you intalled the system?
Still running the factory cats.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Test for leaks. Grab some shop rags or towels hold them in the tail pipes for a couple of seconds and listen for any whistling or sqealing sounds.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by technical
Test for leaks. Grab some shop rags or towels hold them in the tail pipes for a couple of seconds and listen for any whistling or sqealing sounds.
I'll go ahead and give that a shot. Thanks all for the responses!
Old 06-06-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aftermarket exhaust = smelly exhuast. Straight through mufflers don't do as good as a job ridding the gas smell. I'm not sure why, but thats the name of the game. On my car, no cats and straight through mufflers = intoxicating gas smell. My clothes smell like gas where ever I go now

Old 06-06-2004, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Aftermarket exhaust = smelly exhuast. Straight through mufflers don't do as good as a job ridding the gas smell. I'm not sure why, but thats the name of the game. On my car, no cats and straight through mufflers = intoxicating gas smell. My clothes smell like gas where ever I go now

Yeah, it's pretty much just a minor gripe for me. It really isn't bad at all. I just catch a whiff of it every once in a while, usually when it first starts up. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't a severe problem. I tried placing shop rags over the bolted joints to see if there were leaks and from what I can tell it's tip-top. Thanks for the input everyone!

One other thing I thought was strange. As I was taking what I thought was the stock exhaust off, I noticed that a Magnaflow muffler was welded in. Odd to me becuase the Z still had the stock rectangular exhaust tips. Were Magnaflow mufflers included in the stock exhaust?