Sponsored by:

a4 tranny having problems with stall

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default a4 tranny having problems with stall

i have a 97 ta with the following mods

as&m headers, corsa catback, obdi conversion, lt4 knock module, msd6al, vig 3200, 3.73 gears and bfg drag radials

i went to the track yesterday and logged a run with datamaster scanning both the engine and tranmission together. it would hit the rev limiter when shifting into 2nd. i'm also getting some spark retard too. bryan at pcmforless has put the obdi high stall fix in my program and already made a change to it as well

my best 60' was 1.704, but could only run a 13.17@102.33, when my best before the stall is in the sig on a stock converter

i can send the scan for anyone to look at, if they want it. i'm stuck on what to do, i was thinking about sending the stall back and have it restalled to a 2800.

thanks
steve
Old 06-06-2004, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Not sure how to help you, short of taking it to a knowledgable tuner, but I don't think changing the stall from 3200 to 2800, is the answer. The 3200 stall is a very good one.
I'm sure someone on here will eventually chime in. Good luck...
Old 06-06-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have bryan at pcmforless doing the programming for it. we've tried a couple of programs now, all with the same result. i've heard that some people with obdi and stalls over 3000 just can't get it to work, while others can.

i would like to keep it a 3200, i don't mind the extra gas, and i like the improvement in the 60', dropped from a 1.90 to a 1.70 alone
Old 06-08-2004, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone else have any ideas as i stumped on this one
Old 06-08-2004, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Some questions:
What exactly is a "high stall stall fix" and what parameters do they adjust?
Is this car converted to OBDI?
If so, why?
How much knock retard are you getting?
DR's or slicks?

Your 60-ft is 2/10's better with the converter, so that's good, but your mph is lower. You need to check the weather and compare them between the two different track runs before racking your brain on the car. Once you determine the weather was not a contributing factor, move to the car itself. Next I would chase the KR to eliminate it. I don't know about OBDI, but on OBDII-equipped vehicles, KR decay can be tweaked.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

the car is obdi converted, for tuning reasons, its much easier to tune and find programs for scanning purposes. obdi can have a problem with stalls that are 3000 and above. i'm not sure what all the fix is, bryan did extend the 1-2 shift time. when it first started i had to lift for the car to shift, now it hits once and shifts.

i was getting approx 4 deg of knock. i have no idea why as there is no ses light, the exhaust is hanging (ie not banging of the floor, ds loop and so on). i did find a small vaccuum leak on the hvac control lines and replaced that, later that night after i got home the vents stopped working, but worked on the way home.

i'm running on drag radials, 255/50r16

even though the weather is different, i know that it has an effect on et, but no matter what the weather is the car should shift without hitting the rev limither. i need help, this is kick my @$$. i'm about ready to yank it and find a stock one

if anyone has any knowledge with datamaster, i have a scan of the run if they would like to look at it