Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Pillars, Gauges, and Parts; Oh My

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pillars, Gauges, and Parts; Oh My

I've done my searching, and read the posts, but I'm still stuck. I really like the look of Dakota Digital but the cost Cyberdyne is very good. But since a pillar only comes for 3 gauges, no matter which brand I eventually go with, I'm having a hard time deciding about which gauges:

Oil Temp
Oil Pressure
Water Temp
Fuel Pressure
Trans Temp
Air/Fuel

Dakota is $79.99 for each gauge except for Air/Fuel, and the Cyberdyne is $49.99 for each except for the Air/Fuel. Then as I've learned from reading around here, some Air/Fuel aren't even that accurate, maybe even more so after you delete 02 sims after Long Tube Header install and tuning afterwards.

Car is a daily driver, but luckliy not so much anymore thanks to a new affordable lease on a '04 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab w/ Long Bed (for parts and furniture etc).

I guess it's still comes down to: what am I going to be doing with and to the car, ie daily driver, track, street, etc. For right now, I'm thinking that air/fuel isn't going to be needed because of long tube header install and the eventual tuning that the car will need with all the new parts (FLP LTs, , Dual Electric cutouts, 3800 Converter w/ TransGO and B&M Cooler, MTI Lid, Desceened/Ported OR Z06 MAF calibrated for F-body, Ported TB, HP Tuners). Yes, no, good, bad, let me know, thanks
Old 06-07-2004, 12:05 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by FenixSS
I've done my searching, and read the posts, but I'm still stuck. I really like the look of Dakota Digital but the cost Cyberdyne is very good. But since a pillar only comes for 3 gauges, no matter which brand I eventually go with, I'm having a hard time deciding about which gauges:

Oil Temp
Oil Pressure
Water Temp
Fuel Pressure
Trans Temp
Air/Fuel

Dakota is $79.99 for each gauge except for Air/Fuel, and the Cyberdyne is $49.99 for each except for the Air/Fuel. Then as I've learned from reading around here, some Air/Fuel aren't even that accurate, maybe even more so after you delete 02 sims after Long Tube Header install and tuning afterwards.

Car is a daily driver, but luckliy not so much anymore thanks to a new affordable lease on a '04 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab w/ Long Bed (for parts and furniture etc).

I guess it's still comes down to: what am I going to be doing with and to the car, ie daily driver, track, street, etc. For right now, I'm thinking that air/fuel isn't going to be needed because of long tube header install and the eventual tuning that the car will need with all the new parts (FLP LTs, , Dual Electric cutouts, 3800 Converter w/ TransGO and B&M Cooler, MTI Lid, Desceened/Ported OR Z06 MAF calibrated for F-body, Ported TB, HP Tuners). Yes, no, good, bad, let me know, thanks
In my opinion the Oil pressure and fuel pressure would be 1 and 2 and since you have and auto car, trans temp would be of some importance to you.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:51 AM
STF Veteran

Check out the Nordskog guages in the Summit catalog. Here's a direct link to their site. http://www.intellitronix.com/
Old 06-07-2004, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TA TED
Check out the Nordskog guages in the Summit catalog. Here's a direct link to their site. http://www.intellitronix.com/
Yeah, I considered them too, but again it's not so much the brand of gauge as it is WHICH gauge.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards:

Oil Pressure
Fuel Pressure
Trans Temp

Although, the shop I'm getting installed at, refuses to do Trans temp
Old 06-07-2004, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

THe best combo, in my opinion, would be oil temp, trans temp, and oil pressure. Fuel pressure should always be a mechanical gauge mounted outside the car, in my opinion.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mhulslan
THe best combo, in my opinion, would be oil temp, trans temp, and oil pressure. Fuel pressure should always be a mechanical gauge mounted outside the car, in my opinion.
That does sound better, but is it true that the stock Water Temp gauge on the '01-'02s aren't very good? Someone sell me on or steer me away from Water Temp.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:02 AM
STF Veteran

Get the water temp, it's nice to actually know how hot you're running.