Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Aluminum vs. chrome

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum vs. chrome

I've been trying to decide between the replica bullits in chrome or the TTII's which are aluminum.
they are about the same price and the style is very simular. I don't know about the quality of the replica bullits so I would like to hear from anyone whos has them and I would like to ask how much upkeep is involved in keeping the TTII's shiney.
Would you guys say you have to polish them, say one a month for about an hour to keep them looking new?

here is a link with a picture of the replicas for anyone who want's to see what I'm talking about...
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/d...&plusSize=1
they are 18 down down from the top

thanks for any input...
Old 06-08-2004, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like the away polished aluminum looks better than chrome. But with aluminum, you are going to have to really keep up with them to make them look clean.. and where I live.. in the salty, humid air.. it sucks. Chrome.. you just wipe off and your good to go.

I personally would get polished wheels over chrome, just keep up with the wheels weekly or so, and you shouldnt have much of a problem cleaning them.

Good luck!
Old 06-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Ls1tech Bad Ass

i believe chrome is heavier, too.... not sure if its enough to make too much of a difference, and im not sure if weight is really a concern of yours... id go with chrome, but thats just my .02
Old 06-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Before I had the chrome Z06's I had alum TT2's. I didn't mind the aluminum cleaning all that much, just took some more time. As long as you spend a few minutes every 2 weeks on them they will be perfect. I also like that if you get a scratch you can just buff it out. Chrome weights more, but the shine is just awesome and they are much easier to clean. Here's a old picture from when I had the TT2's:
Attached Thumbnails Aluminum vs. chrome-02.jpg   Aluminum vs. chrome-05.jpg  
Old 06-21-2004, 08:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you 'buff' aluminum? I have Fikse FM/5's that are now 3 years old with minor scratches in the aluminum part. How do you get them out? With what? Thanks.
Old 06-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Customizing Director

Viper - I used mothers aluminum polish with very good results (as you can see in the TT2 pics). Once my center hub was holding on by one screw when I was driving and put some scartches in the rim (enough to feel easily). I was able to go home and buff em out by hand within 10 mins. Just took a white terry cloth, wiped some mothers on there then began to rub it on the rim rapidly. Took a few on-off coats and the scratches came off.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How about Mother's on clearcoat? I understand Fikse uses clearcoat on their aluminum; they way to tell is to use Mother's. On the chrome, the rag/cloth turns black immediately. On the aluminum portion of the rim, nothing happens. I read this is how you know if you have clearcoat on it. Sound right?
Old 06-21-2004, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

if they are a high quality wheels that is polished then clearcoated they will hold up if not get out the oxidation removal kit hahaha
Old 06-21-2004, 06:56 PM
Customizing Director

Aluminum rims will turn black when polishing and then you buff that out... as for chrome, I wouldn't use anything on them unless it said chrome polish. I've never had to use chrome polish though.