Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Valve Springs

Old 06-09-2004, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Changing Valve Springs

I was just curious if there was any other way to change the valve springs without having to buy a valve spring compressor... Those things dont come cheap, & Ill only be using it just for this 1 time...
Old 06-09-2004, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've changed several sets with the cheap *** Autozone compressor. They work just fine if you take your time.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:31 AM
On The Tree

Made a tool for mine that used the rocker bolt as a pivot and had a hole drilled to go over the valve stem end. Cost about $NOTHING and worked great. I also used the TDC method for the valves. Have a look on LS1Howto.com
I think access is a problem with some tools.

Tom.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

sorry if i sound like a thread jacker, but i was gonna start a thread about changing valve springs, but if i could just use this one then i would rather do that. when changing the valve springs, if you use the pressurizing the cylinder method, what did you use to screw into the spark plug whole?!? i have been looking everywhere but everyone that i asks dont know what i'm talkin about? so if you have any idea what i am talkin about, please let me know. thanks

daniel
Old 06-09-2004, 10:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 68bird
sorry if i sound like a thread jacker, but i was gonna start a thread about changing valve springs, but if i could just use this one then i would rather do that. when changing the valve springs, if you use the pressurizing the cylinder method, what did you use to screw into the spark plug whole?!? i have been looking everywhere but everyone that i asks dont know what i'm talkin about? so if you have any idea what i am talkin about, please let me know. thanks

daniel
I bought the adapter tool at Pep Boys for a few $.
Old 06-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

The larry tool is the best and easiest tool to use. I made a copy but if you don't want to make one they are cheap. Look in the tools section under spring tool. I also did the top dead center for each cylinder and the air pressure thing fool proof and easy as hell.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 68bird

daniel
Look at this tool. http://www.northernautoparts.com/Pro...ctModelId=8291
when you take the guage off and plug the air hose onto it tube you need to take the schrader valve out of the threaded end so that air flows free and will keep the cylinder full. Its pretty easy. hardest part is getting the hose in in cylinder #6 and #8. since the spark plug hole faces towards the firewall. Hope that helps.

As far as the original topic....The Larry tool is by far the easiest I have ever used.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:12 AM
10 Second Club

The Larry Tool worked great for me too. And I just turned each cyl to TDC...didn't pressurize them. The valve drops down ~ 1/2" & sits on top of the piston.
Old 06-09-2004, 11:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, Thanks for the replys, I think Im going to make my own... It seems pretty easy.. Also I wana make something I know will fit on the pass. side rear... Those look like a PITA....
Old 06-10-2004, 03:44 AM
Staging Lane

Ace Hardware also carrys the right size black hardened studs for the tool if you decide to make your own.

Search this Thread