Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon interchangability

Old 06-10-2004, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon interchangability

Ok, not a stereo expert here, so I'm looking for help. Seen some posts on the Moonsoon and interchangability, but my question is a little different.

I have a '99 Silverado with the "regular" (non-monsoon) stereo. Is it possible to just slip the old unit out and slide in a monsoon unit? Will it fit?Will it mount correctly? Will it need wiring work? Will I need different or special speakers? I don't want to do it if it's too much work, but the Monsoon in my '00 SS sounds awesome, and I'm wondering if I can put a monsoon in my truck. I don't want to go with anything aftermarket. I want to keep everything stock looking. Again, I'm not a stereo expert so talk to me like I'm a 3rd grader!
Old 06-11-2004, 11:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Well, the answer is "yes" and "no". Yes, you can put the Monsoon head unit in your truck because there is nothing really special about the Monsoon head unit - it's a GM/Delco head unit that just happens to have the word Monsoon on the face. The difference in a Monsoon system is that the normal speaker output for most of the speakers is run through an external amplifier first. And no, you won't need any special adapters to connect it - just use the brackets off of the original radio, plug in the harness and you're done.

So, the "no" part of the answer is that, even though you can swap the headunit, it won't sound like it does in the car. You won't have the amplifier and you won't have the ten speakers (or eight depending on your car). Unless you can get all that stuff really cheap and figure where to put everything, you're probably much better off going for a decent aftermarket system.

Search this Thread