Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder wall rust

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cylinder wall rust

Long story short car sucked up some water and it sat for a few days. I pulled the heads off and the cylinder walls are rusted. Can I just take it apart and hone the cylinders. I'm going to put the stock stuff back in due to a limited buget. New rings and bearings will go back in. Just seeing if it has been done before. Car is a 98 Z
Old 06-10-2004, 06:38 PM
11 Second Club

I took one of my heads off and probably got about the same amount of rust in the cylinder wall. So long as its not a prolonged period of time, its just on the surface. I wiped them down and got the surface rust off, and then lubricated them.. as well as covered them with cloths to keep dust from getting in and it runs fine.. Why did you tear it down, did the motor lock up or something?

Peace,
Josh
Old 06-10-2004, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Motor was a pull out thought to be hydro locked. The water was sitting in there about 3 weeks before i took the heads off.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it will be fine,,,clean it best you can and let her rip
Old 06-10-2004, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

Somebody with more experience than me can give you better advice probably. But my advice would be measure the bore. Check for any distortion in the bore (roundness, taper, etc).. if their is, a slight overbore would probably be needed to remove any imperfections and get the cylinder back in good shape. However, if everything looks good.. then a hone might be okay. If its a low mile motor, chances are you can get away with a hone. My guess is that the rust over that short of a period of time won't play a part in anything.. My car sat out for a week or so with no ill effects before I realized that more water had leaked and had to clean it up, as I was waiting for some head gaskets and head bolts to come in the mail. However, chances are if the motor really was hydrolocked.. there might be some damage associated with that. Luckily, I've never had that happen so I wouldn't know.

Peace,
Josh

Last edited by distortion_69; 06-10-2004 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

Cablebandit makes a good point. Are the rings and bearings even damaged? If not, why are you tearing it down to begin with. You could just clean it up and put the heads back on.

Good Luck,
Josh
Old 06-11-2004, 06:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

The cam bearings are starting to show some copper. Other then that it has been sitting out side uncoverd for 3 weeks no telling what got in there(dirt, gras ect.... Just dont want to take a chance of putting it all back together and spinning a bearing.

Quick Reply: Cylinder wall rust