Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Swirl Marks

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2004, 12:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swirl Marks

I have massive bad swirl marks on the body of my 2001 formula. And i have tryed several things. I have even tryed a very Very fine rubbing compound. I heard something about a clay bar? Anyone have some good suggestions on removing swirl marks and returning the lusterious beauty to my bird. Thanks
Old 06-11-2004, 01:03 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you do a search in this forum yet? There is a bunch of info on this topic.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

meguiar's #83 is about the only thing that will do it by hand. other than that, you could use the 83 with a polisher, and you could also buy more expensive polishes like menzerna. i used 83 by hand on my car, and it made vast differences in the paint. it didn't take all the swirls out, but my arm was thanking me that it at least took out some.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

for removing swirl marks you need either a PC 7424/or rotory i.e. dewalt849 or makita polisher. then a fine cut rubbing compound. the 83 will work by hand but as tuffluck said all the swirls dont come out by hand. so with out a maching to assist you your not going to get too far, it will improve a great bit but not to the point where theres no swirl marks
Old 06-11-2004, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

"Safe Cut" by The Wax Shop. I use it on my top and have had very good results. It may not be as durable as others but definitely minimizes swirl marks.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

I would definitely look into buying a Porter Cable 7424 if you really want to get the swirls out. Doing it by hand will be next to impossible.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

The guy i bought my car from does profesional detail work for a living, so my paint is in good condition, but I asked him for a prescription for a friend with a black WS6 and here it is.
Order Tropi-Care: Clay Bar, Polish, Detail Spray, Car Wash and Microfiber Towel Package. Also pick up 3M Fine Cut Rubbing Compound Part # 39009, and some blue Ultra Dawn Dishwashing Soap

If he wants to get serious, tell him to order Porter Cable 7424 from www.coastaltool.com , and to order some foam buffer pads with hook and loop backing from Steve @ Tropi-Care

wash, clay, wash, dry. buffer and gray foam pad with TC8. remove with microfiber towel. if it still sucks, try buffer and yellow foam pad with 3M 39009

then TC polish, TC spray.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

just to let you know, this all depends on how much the swirls on your car bother you. if slight swirling that only you can really notice will bother you, you better get a porter cable. if slight swirling doesn't bother you, just big swirls, hand #83 will work well, you just have to go at it hard as hell. i ran cross country all throughout high school and i can guarantee you that just doing my hood was more work than i ever did in 3 miles of cross country running.

Quick Reply: Swirl Marks