Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! 0 oil pressure, shop wants 700.00 to change pump

Old 06-11-2004, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry HELP!! 0 oil pressure, shop wants 700.00 to change pump

I was getting ready to leave for the power tour the other day, fired up the car and zero oil pressure. I replaced the sending unit, still nothing. Hooked a mech. gauge up to it and there is definitly no pressure. I had it towed and the speed shop that has it wants 7hrs @ 85.00/hr and 1 hr of testing just to look at it. They were going to remove the pan and the timing cover (most of the time is involved w/ the cover I assume).

Basically, if it is the pump, they want 700.00 just to get to it and then the cost of the pump to replace . They said they would check a rod and a bearing too just to make sure there wasn't any other damage.

Should I tell them to F off and try to do it myself, let me know guys. Thanks
Old 06-11-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$150 for a LS6 deburred and blueprinted pump

You have to remove the water pump, belts, drain coolant (add that into the cost), remove timing cover, NEW balancer bolt, so that's another $20 in parts (bolt and coolant).

To remove the pan they'll have to drop or lower the K-member to pull the pan. Then they'll need a new gasket. They'll also have to pull the main caps, etc to look at the bearings and then re-torque them if they're not TTY bolts, I can't remember if the rod bolts are TTY on the LS1 cracked rods. If they are TTY then you'll need new bolts. That's a LOT of extra work unless they like to be thorough but if your car wasn't driven and only started for less than a few seconds then I would think your probability of having damaged bearings is relatively minor thus making those checks un-necessary.

Most likely your relief valve is stuck open shunting all the oil to the pan instead of the oil passages.

If you can read directions and have a few tools then you can do it yourself. Follow this site: http://ls1howto.com and just look under the "Cam Swap" How-To and you'll see what's involved to change the oil pump.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Motorboater

um holy crap, 700 dollars?

unless you've got lots of money laying around, i'd tackle that one yourself, its def doable.

plenty of folks here to answer any Q's as you go..
Old 06-11-2004, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have never changed the oil pump, but I would damn sure give it a shot rather than pay a bunch of "mechanics" $700 in labor to replace it.

There are plenty of people on this board who replace it while they swap out cams. No reason why you can't do it.

I doubt there has been any bearing damage from two cold starts.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Thx guys, wheres a good place to buy the ported/deburred LS6 pump? I might as well do a cam swap while I'm at it Thanks for the quick replies!!
Old 06-11-2004, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

ThunderRacing has them at the right. Best customer service in the business.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you were thinking about spending $700 on it anyway, this might be the ideal time to go ahead and do a cam and a underdrive pulley while you're there and it's apart... That's probably within $50 of the $700.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by John_D.
If you were thinking about spending $700 on it anyway, this might be the ideal time to go ahead and do a cam and a underdrive pulley while you're there and it's apart... That's probably within $50 of the $700.
well, that's kind of the reason I don't want them to work on it, as I don't have a spare 700.00 to spend on the car. But your absolutley right, it probably would be the best time to throw a cam in there.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ellessone
Thx guys, wheres a good place to buy the ported/deburred LS6 pump? I might as well do a cam swap while I'm at it Thanks for the quick replies!!
Katech sells a nice one.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by v8maro
Katech sells a nice one.
I bought theirs for 115. It works great.

Search this Thread