Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil pump/pressure question - a little long

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil pump/pressure question - a little long

Last night I installed my F1 cam, 918 springs, hardened pushrods, ASP pulley, Rollmaster double roller, LS6 intake, removed the EGR and AIR from the exhuast manifolds (waiting on my QTP headers) and removing the 2 systems from the car (including the air pump and hoses).
Now first off - I know I'm choking the hell out of the motor with the exhaust manifolds, but I should get my headers very shortly and this was when I could get the cam in so anyway - here is my problem. Also no tuning for the moment - Edit will be here Monday.

When I start the car - it seems as if the oil pressure kind of hangs at 0, or maybe just above for a couple seconds, then pops up to around 35. The car is idling fine, around 900 rpms. Before the cam install, my oil pressure has typically been around 60 or so cold, then when warm, at idle it hangs around 40 or just above, then under acceleration it goes up to around 65 or so.
I have not gotten into the throttle at all yet, so I don't know how high the pressure will go under invreased throttle. I have only had the car up to approx. 2500rpms as I was trying to heat cycle the springs a few times.

After doing a search I found one problem could be the O-ring could be torn/or missing (common with cam installs I guess), but wouldn't I be seeing much less pressure then say mid 30s?

This afternoon I changed the oil and filter (10w30 mobil 1 w/ the longer AC filter) and the pressure pumped up a little bit - say 38 or so. The old oil was due for a change anyway - but I also wanted to see if that helped the pressure any.

Any suggestions? or is the lower oil pressure due to the ASP pulley? I don't see how - but I'm kind of dumbfounded at the moment other than the o-ring possibility.

Thanks

<small>[ March 17, 2003, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: ClassicCollector ]</small>
Old 03-17-2003, 02:33 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: oil pump/pressure question - a little long

At this point, if you even suspect the O-ring, please check it soon. It may save you a great headache later.