Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock sleeves

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 01:50 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock sleeves

I was looking at thunder racing's website and seen the Darton Sleeves they have. It got me thinking.

IF I was to resleeve and bore it to a 4.000", how many cubes would the engine be? What about 4.060"?

I'm hoping when I take everything to the machine shop, I'll be able to use the stock sleeves. The engine does have ~90,000 miles on it. What do ya'll think will happen as far as using the stock sleeves? I've read that the 98' LS1 block cannot be bored over .005". Please any input on this is deeply appreciated! Thanks.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Displacement = [(Bore * Bore * pie * Stroke)\4] * 8

The Darton setup must be done by qualified people with the proper machines. I recommend you have Steve @ Race Engineering at the right do your install into your block or MTI.

You can't use the stock sleeves and bore the aluminum block out to 4.000".
Old 06-13-2004, 03:32 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
You can't use the stock sleeves and bore the aluminum block out to 4.000".
I know, I was talking about the Darton Sleeves. I was wanting to know if I could still use the stock sleeves w/o honing and just having it re-crosshatched?
Old 06-13-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99silveradoSS
I know, I was talking about the Darton Sleeves. I was wanting to know if I could still use the stock sleeves w/o honing and just having it re-crosshatched?
As long as the bore taper, etc checks out fine a clean up hone is all you'll need for the block sleeve's to be fine.

You'll have to have your machinist check to be sure that the stock pistons w/new rings can still be utilized in the new, slightly larger bore.
Old 06-13-2004, 11:37 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
As long as the bore taper, etc checks out fine a clean up hone is all you'll need for the block sleeve's to be fine.

You'll have to have your machinist check to be sure that the stock pistons w/new rings can still be utilized in the new, slightly larger bore.
Thanks for the info! Just what I needed to know. Now all I need is the money....