Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loose rocker arms

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose rocker arms

Please help me with this. I put my cam and springs in and everything was going good. Now, after about 2 weeks I have a lot of loose rocker noise. I took the covers off and checked the torque on the rockers and they were still good. I can wiggle the rockers back and forth a little, on the one's that both valves are closed on, and twist the pr's on them too. Is this normal or should you not be able to move anything when torqued down to 22 flbs? Do I have a problem that can be fixed. Oh, and I put new pr's in and they are still straight, 7.4's. I didn't do new lifters because I didn't think they would be bad. Can I shave my pedastal for the rocker's to give me a tighter pre load? How do you shave it?
Old 06-13-2004, 11:40 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dont shave anything. i would remove all the rockers and reinstall and tq them down to 22ft-lbs, turn the motor over 180* and recheck the tq.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:12 PM
Teching In

check the side of the rocker,i had the little metal cap break off on the side of one of my rockers. it made noise because it was moving. 400 miles later and i still cant find the metal piece that broke off.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jrp
dont shave anything. i would remove all the rockers and reinstall and tq them down to 22ft-lbs, turn the motor over 180* and recheck the tq.
I tried that on one side and I can still move everything on the one's that both valves are closed.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i could be wrong but ive heard it was normal to get more noise from the engine when changing over cams, unless its just extremely noisy...
Old 06-14-2004, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2000-WS6-Formula
check the side of the rocker,i had the little metal cap break off on the side of one of my rockers. it made noise because it was moving. 400 miles later and i still cant find the metal piece that broke off.
I am wondering if my rocker's are just wore out because I can hold each one in my hand and move them back and forth where the bearing's are. Is this normal?

Last edited by Black Z; 06-14-2004 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jrp
Well I did this and I still have the tick. It's not an exhaust leak or anything. I also took the cover off again and I can still wiggle the rocker's on the one's that both valve's are closed on. I also turned the motor over to check each cylinder with both valve's closed and I can wiggle the rocker's on those too. Is this normal or do I have collapsed lifter's or do I need longer pushrod's. I replaced the pr's with new 7.4's. I do have 100,000 miles on the car and I am assuming that the lifter's are original.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude what your hearing is more than likely normal, when you put a larger cam in these cars the valvetrain tends to get quite a bit louder. Took me awhile to get used to it as well.

-Sly

Quick Reply: Loose rocker arms