Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker arm TSB Question (IMPORTANT)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker arm TSB Question (IMPORTANT)

This past weekend i was changing my oil in my '98z and found a needle bearing, which led to me finding out that theres a service bulletin out for the rocker arms. I read the bulletin and it says that its a factory defect but will not be covered. So it is up to me to buy 16 new rocker arms at $25 bucks a piece. 400 bucks for those who are not so good at math. , My question to you guys becomes , The part # listed is 10214664, Have they since been updated , reinforced so this wont happen again? if not, What are my other choices? i'd rather spend some more money getting better rockers/roller rockers, something i can use to my advantage, rather than just buy the same old shitty ones. To my understanding they make some roller rockers but they dont fit under the stock valve covers. Anyone with ideas? All your help is appreciated, i need to get my car back on the road ASAP, making the girlfriend drive me to work and home everyday . TIA -- mike
Old 06-14-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get used ones off the board. Many folks use the stockers even on high HP and high spinning motors.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:13 PM
Banned

Stock rockers are pretty much junk in my opinion.

Harland Sharpe Roller rockers are only $340 and are direct bolt down, non adjustable awesome rockers, get a set of thier 1.7's and just replace the junk stockers...

We swapped them onto a friends z06 corvette in 45 minutes start to finish, very easy swap, nothing special about the install at all.
Old 06-14-2004, 01:06 PM
12 Second Club

I would definetly get 1.7 Harland Sharps or Yella Terras as replacements. No huge performance gain, but much greater reliability and similar cost to new GM parts.
Old 06-14-2004, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for your help guys, but one more question, do they need grinding on the stock '98 valve covers ? i heard something about that but im not sure, if not i'll be ordering them up as soon as i get home from work. Any Site suggestions to order them from ?
Old 06-14-2004, 03:52 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you do have to grind on a '98 if you use Yella Terras. The Yella Terras fit great on my car with no grinding, but I have a 2001. PM me if you want a killer deal on a set of low-mile (5000) stock rockers, though!
Old 06-14-2004, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

what about the harland sharpe rollers , anyone know if they fit on a 98??

I need to order some of these up ASAP so if i can get the info tonight that'd be awesome ... Thanks again!
Old 06-14-2004, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

One of the reasons you aren't seeing much HP gain with some of the roller rockers on the market is that they have too much of a "sewing machine noise" that triggers the knock sensor and pulls timing out of the engine (causing a lost HP). I hang out at Vinci Hi-Performance in Orlando and Roger told me that the Crane roller rockers are much quieter than anything else on the market because they have a barrel design to the needle bearings that allows more oil between the bearings to cushion impact and minimize noise. He said they spent almost a year on developing them with the Crane people and that noise reduction was fundamental to the big HP increase that he gets. He said the Cranes are always good for somewhere between 15 and 17 HP. They cost a little more, but he swears they are worth it and he has never steered me wrong yet! He fired up several vehicles for me last week to demonstrate how quiet they are. You have to put a stethoscope to the valve covers to hear any hint of the rockers. He's putting a cam, springs and rockers on my truck in two weeks. I'll let you know how they work out.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by QuietTahoe
One of the reasons you aren't seeing much HP gain with some of the roller rockers on the market is that they have too much of a "sewing machine noise" that triggers the knock sensor and pulls timing out of the engine (causing a lost HP). I hang out at Vinci Hi-Performance in Orlando and Roger told me that the Crane roller rockers are much quieter than anything else on the market because they have a barrel design to the needle bearings that allows more oil between the bearings to cushion impact and minimize noise. He said they spent almost a year on developing them with the Crane people and that noise reduction was fundamental to the big HP increase that he gets. He said the Cranes are always good for somewhere between 15 and 17 HP. They cost a little more, but he swears they are worth it and he has never steered me wrong yet! He fired up several vehicles for me last week to demonstrate how quiet they are. You have to put a stethoscope to the valve covers to hear any hint of the rockers. He's putting a cam, springs and rockers on my truck in two weeks. I'll let you know how they work out.
Hmm, EFILIVE and GM's Tech II show no knock at any RPM in my motor and the sewing noise got louder when I installed my Yella's but I didn't gain or lose any power -- did that guy mention that the Cranes are 1.8 ratio's and not 1.7's -- there is your 15-17hp right there.
Old 06-15-2004, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CamaroSS_2002
Hmm, EFILIVE and GM's Tech II show no knock at any RPM in my motor and the sewing noise got louder when I installed my Yella's but I didn't gain or lose any power -- did that guy mention that the Cranes are 1.8 ratio's and not 1.7's -- there is your 15-17hp right there.
Roger said he is getting power increases with both the 1.7's and 1.8's. Part of the reason is that the Cranes use accelerated lift geometry created by the low pushrod seat location (relative to the center of rotation). The 1.7's come off the seat at 1.79 and by .250 valve lift reduce to 1.72 which they keep until the valve is within .250 of going back on the seat and then they go back on at 1.79. The 1.8s lift the valve at 1.89 and reduce to 1.82. He had a diagram showing the rotation of the rocker. There are no mysterious moving parts, it's simple geometry that a lot of other companies have just plain missed, and best of all, it works!
Old 06-15-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Veteran

I have the Harland Sharpe rockers, with an F11 cam, The motor sounds identical to the way it did with stock rockers, Alan Futral tuned my car and I had no knock retard with the HS rockers. I got them on a GP thru Nasty, for reliability purposes.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe you do have to grind the valve covers, and maybe the heads a bit, for the HS rockers. There was a post here recently where somebody attached some pics showing the grinding that was required on the valve covers.

I upgraded to 241 heads on my '98 when I did the HS rockers, and avoided the problem, so I'm just going by what I've seen on here....
Old 06-17-2004, 01:15 PM
FormerVendor

Here are some pictures of hte grinding of the 98. They do fit it just takes some time but they are cheaper than the stockers.

Nate

Quick Reply: Rocker arm TSB Question (IMPORTANT)