Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike rack on Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 03:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bike rack on Camaro

I know this question must never be asked but here it goes. The Z is my only car and I need to carry two bikes for a trip so how the hell am I going to do so WITHOUT damaging my beautiful car ? I have seen trunk racks but those aren't touching my ride... Maybe a hitch of course removable !

Thx for the advice,
Sims
Old 06-14-2004, 04:40 PM
TECH Regular

Take apart the bikes, put the parts in the trunk and put them back together when you get there...
Old 06-14-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Veteran

What trunk you can bearly fit a bike tire in there. And you will probably be putting your thing's for the trip in the back seat. I don't think I have seen a bike rack for a camaro. But you might want to do a search on the web to see if you find one.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Probably your best bet is some sort of "trailer hitch" arrangement; so the bikes are hanging off the rack in mid air behind your rear bumper. I've seen SUVs with a pair of bikes mounted upright off the rear end, so there must be some sort of rack available out there.

Failing that, you could always rent a nice SUV and stick the bikes in the cargo area
Old 06-14-2004, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

I had the hitch setup on my Ranger and it would work well with the Camaro or Firebird. Also, do not go the cheap route, get a nice bike rack for the hitch it will help save on possibilities of a scratch or other.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the bikes apart, fold the back seats down, and put the parts there.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I've seen patrol cars that have the bike rack mounted to the hitch, and theres plenty of clearance so you won't scratch the bumper.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have fit ny mountain bike in my backseat/trunk with the seats down many times in the past. I dont do it anymore though. Just make sure you put a sheet or something under there first.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

watch out for tint on back window too.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dubs6
watch out for tint on back window too.
Actually I found out that if you remove your front wheel the bike just fits in there really nicely. I still would tie it down so it won't go anywhere altough.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah...I agree. Take the wheels off and fold down your back seat. I was actually surprised to see how much room i had when the seat was down.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

dont put a hitch on a camaro,
Old 07-06-2004, 08:43 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by hourang
dont put a hitch on a camaro,
Only time I saw that, it was a 3rd gen RS towing a pig smoker to a trailer park outside of Langley Speedway. Complete with Bondo of course
Old 07-06-2004, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah! What are you Stupid!? Put a hitch on a F-Bod!?!?!

****! Put it in the hatch. No one will see the scratches and such that it will cause. And screw the tint!
Old 07-06-2004, 09:42 AM
TECH Resident

1) Go with the hitch and pay no attention to the naysayers. A hitch gives you a place to tow race tires to the track, a place to get your car puilled out of a gravel trap on turn 5 at Road America, a nice jacking point, and a place to hall a personal watercraft. Oh yeah, and a place for your bikes that won't mess up your interior or your paint.

2) As mentioned, with the back seat down, you can get a lot in there. My wife and I did a 3 day biking/camping trip out of my 98 T/A. Tent, sleeping bags and pads were in the well, then we spread out a heavy wool blanket over the interior and put the bikes in (front wheel removed). Cover the lower bike with another blanket then stack the second on top. We then stuffed food in wherever it fit. We also got a few stares at the trailhead from people who were surprised to see two bikes go in. Wish I had taken a photo.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by absolut_speed
1) Go with the hitch and pay no attention to the naysayers. A hitch gives you a place to tow race tires to the track, a place to get your car puilled out of a gravel trap on turn 5 at Road America, a nice jacking point, and a place to hall a personal watercraft. Oh yeah, and a place for your bikes that won't mess up your interior or your paint.

2) As mentioned, with the back seat down, you can get a lot in there. My wife and I did a 3 day biking/camping trip out of my 98 T/A. Tent, sleeping bags and pads were in the well, then we spread out a heavy wool blanket over the interior and put the bikes in (front wheel removed). Cover the lower bike with another blanket then stack the second on top. We then stuffed food in wherever it fit. We also got a few stares at the trailhead from people who were surprised to see two bikes go in. Wish I had taken a photo.

Those wells have ALLOT of space. I have gone shopping for the family with more than a cart of groceries and fit it all in the hatch. The neighbors must of thought it funny when I kept pulling **** out.

Also, my previous post was a little sarcastic

I think the hitch idea is great and since I love mountain bike riding as well and no longer have a truck I have considered a hitch just for bike hauling.
Old 07-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Do you like rollerblading??? lol
Old 07-15-2004, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Default Found one..

Hello,

Check out this link http://www.sarisproducts.com/ They have a model called the Bones 2 and 3, if you also get a "hatch hugger" it is supposed to work on Camaro's.

Joel
Old 07-15-2004, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

I tried a Bones on a TA and it really isn't a trustworthy option on that car. It fit awkwardly and just begged to ruin the finish on the bumper. The Bones is a quality piece, just not if you want to use it on an F-body without scuffing stuff. I had the Bones 3 when I opted to throw the bikes inside because it was easier and lesslikely to cause damage.

Quick Reply: Bike rack on Camaro