Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fresh motor, how to prime for oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 02:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh motor, how to prime for oil pressure?

I tried cranking over the motor for about 10 seconds, i didnt get any oil pressure....

Then i fired it up for the first time and it idled for about 5 seconds or so, and still no oil pressure on the gauge... (This is an autometer elec oil pressure gauge i wired up, sender off the oil bypass next to oil filter)....

Any ideas on easy way to prime it?

How long can this motor run at the longest before i worry about no oil pressure? and if i dont get any, what to check?? Ive got a stock oil pump on it (408 stroker), which ive got a new TSP ported ls6 pump i got after it was together.

Also i put a brand new bypass plastic pliug under the rear cover on the back. And the freeze plug in the front oil galley behind timing cover is in.

any possibilities if i end up having a problem (which i doubt at the moment)
Old 06-15-2004, 02:33 AM
TECH Resident

unplug the injectors and coilpacks and crank... what does your stock oil pressure sensor say for pressure?
Old 06-15-2004, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Another way to prime it:
On the passanger side of your car under the hood there is a few wireharness that runs down the fender. Running along with those harnesses there is a thick purple wire with a plug about right in the middle of it (the plug connects the wires). take the plug apart and hook 12v to the plug, that sends power directly to the starter noid, and as long as you keep 12v on it, it will spin the motor and bring the oil pressure up. I do this with new motors, that is also how I bump the motor over for solid roller adjustments
Old 06-15-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Junkie

It took me while to build pressure on my motor too, just make sure you unplug the injector fuses in the box and I would not fire it up until you have pressure.
Old 06-15-2004, 04:42 PM
Teching In

Ok, I cranked it for about 15 seconds with the coil packs unhooked, still nothing.
Then I started it and let it run about 5 seconds..still nothing...anything i can check or do i have a bad oil pump?? (2002 oil pump with 20k on it)

Also, i cracked loose the bolt on the oil bypass that bolts to the side of the oil pan and oil floods out which would make me think that it is pumping oil?

Last edited by AidanN20; 06-15-2004 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try pulling a valvecover and see if oil has made it to the top, if so then something in the wiring is not right.

-Sly
Old 06-15-2004, 06:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Rent an engine primer and hook this up to the motor. You should of had pressure by now. You don't want to continue cranking and rsik damage to the bearings.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulled the plugs to coil packs and pulled the fuel pump relay. It took longer than 10 seconds. I let the starter turn it over on and off for close to a minute. I eventually showed 30 -35 psi of pressure just with the starter. It helps to go ahead and fill your oil filter with oil before you put it on. I also tapped the small cover above the oil filter and installed a mechanical gauge to watch. Once the engine was running I removed it and plugged it.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:01 PM
Banned

Hmmm so well its nice to hear that it took so long (considering ive cranked mine for a bit now).

I have a brand new ls6 TSP ported oil pump laying here that i got after the motor was together.....Im going to install it tonight for the stock ls1 pump, hook up the mechanical gauge, and go back and try cranking it again for oil pressure.

Thanks for the reply steve h.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AidanN20
Ok, I cranked it for about 15 seconds with the coil packs unhooked, still nothing.
Then I started it and let it run about 5 seconds..still nothing...anything i can check or do i have a bad oil pump?? (2002 oil pump with 20k on it)

Also, i cracked loose the bolt on the oil bypass that bolts to the side of the oil pan and oil floods out which would make me think that it is pumping oil?
drop your oil filter and see if its full
Old 06-16-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by C4VetteLS1
Hmmm so well its nice to hear that it took so long (considering ive cranked mine for a bit now).

I have a brand new ls6 TSP ported oil pump laying here that i got after the motor was together.....Im going to install it tonight for the stock ls1 pump, hook up the mechanical gauge, and go back and try cranking it again for oil pressure.

Thanks for the reply steve h.
Fill the pump with oil and pump it a few times before installing it
Old 06-16-2004, 02:59 PM
10 Second Club + 14 Second Truck Club

what i did was pull the oil pressure sending unit out of the motor and put a small funnel in it. then dumped almost a full quart of oil into the hole, this will prime all of the galleys and filter and you will get oil pressure instantly. this does take a while to do, prob. about 45 minutes.

i then turned it over without the plugs in it and instantly got oil pressure.

just my suggestion and i would do this again if i had to.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:01 PM
Banned

So if i empty my oil filter (as i filled it when i installed it) and crank it for a sec, it should fill up? that would tell me my oil press sender is bad
Old 06-16-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Addict

Like JohnB said above. Get a primer. It consists of a steel jug that you fill with 5 quarts of oil. Then pressurize the tank with compressed air, up to about 80psi. Remove the galley plug just beside your alternator, and screw in a fitting. Hook a hose from the jug to the fitting, and you get 80psi oil presssure. You need to slowly turn the crank over using your crank bolt and a rachet long enough to reach. Keep turning slowly until all the oil is out of the tank. Then you can crank it up safely.

Quick Reply: Fresh motor, how to prime for oil pressure?