Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor out might as well....???

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 07:14 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question motor out might as well....???

as everyone knows getting the motor out of my 99 z28 camaro is not going to be an easy task. while i have it out though i plan to replace engine and tranny mounts but with what? i am putting an eagle crank rod and piston kit that is 10.2:1 compression, i think it will be stroked to 374. anyone object as far as bad experiences? any suggestions? what else should i do while i have the motor and tranny out? i also plan to replace centerforce clutch with something, what is the best for the money and the 3-4 shift fork to steel and the synchros and blocker rings. anything else i should do? let me know thanks.
Attached Thumbnails motor out might as well....???-photo387.jpg  
Old 06-16-2004, 09:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

seems most people use poly mounts and are happy with them....
Old 06-16-2004, 01:28 PM
Launching!

where could i get a decent price on some poly mounts?
Old 06-16-2004, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poly mounts make the entire car vibrate. Not a fan. You can pull an engine out in a few hours. Not a big deal at all. It is easier with a cherry picker but nothing two guys couldn't do standing on the inner fenders with straps under the engine. The tranny is also extremely easy to pull out. Unless you have a problem with the tranny, why would you even consider pulling it apart? My best advice to you is to get a shifter with built-in stops and don't powershift. Changing the sychros and blocker rings along with the shift fork is no easy task and redundant to do if it isn't broken.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Launching!

sstolen, you arent serious about pulling the engine out being no big deal are you? i really would love to be able to pull it myself but i dont have a lift so i didnt think it possible since the engine has to go out the bottom correct? why dont you give me a call if you have any info on this. 903-210-1290. just leave your number on my pager here and i will call you right back. thanks.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

MOTOR PLATES AND TWIN TURBOS!!!!!!!

Poly motor and trans mounts will keep the engine from kicking around so much. I had them for 25K miles and didn't notice much more vibration (just that the engine did kick). I would vote Poly for just about 99% of the population.

I replaced my 3/4 fork just for the hell of it but left my syncros as they only had 50K and I'm easy on the shifting. It cost me $100 + parts to have a local guy do mine. I have a spec stg 3 and personally don't see myself every going with another company as I'm very happy (might go up to stg 4 next go around though ). While you have the tranny out, if you don't already have a new (01+) slave and an adjustable master go ahead and do those (will be EASY to do now....much harder later).

I'm guessing you already have headers/exhaust/etc...all the good bolt ons so your good there.

I'm running eagle rods (with ARP L19 bolts) in my new engine and am happy with the fitment/quality. Just make sure you test fit everything BEFORE its ballanced as some people did have some problems with the counterweights being too large and required turning.