Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

punch hx2 fried upgrade suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 11:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default punch hx2 fried upgrade suggestions?

on i got a nice cust setup done with 2 punch hx2 12's on a 1500.1 power amp the speakers tooka dump after 2 yrs and im gonna replace em and i know i got more power from the amp than the last set could handle my box is fiberglass 1.25 cu ft per chamber sealed and i need for the amp to see 2 ohms (1 mabye 2 better) the hx2's were 500 w rms 1000 w peak im looking at the new rockfords p1 with 600w rms but i keep up with audio too much anymore alos i was not exactly happy with the hx2 's form the start they were medioker IMO i need a sup that hits anything form 120hx to 20hz with the same punch but espacially moves some air and ahs simlar or better sound quality SO WHAT U ALL RECCOMEND ??
Old 06-16-2004, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

The newer Elemental Designs A-series. www.edesignaudio.com
Old 06-16-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

X2 Edesignaudio 13av2
Old 06-16-2004, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

what about the new mmats or rockfords?
Old 06-16-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

I've never been wild about Rockford's subs, they just have a odd sound, and never seem to really have any low-end grunt. Maybe the new power woofers are different, I've never heard one. The MMATS subs are good subs too, but in order to get them to move some serious air, youv'e got to dump some serious power into it, and spend some $$ for the woofer. The ED sub we recommended is truly a powerhouse. Did you read any of the reviews on the site? I know revievs don't mean a whole lot sometimes, but some pretty widely known and respected names have reviewed thier subs and given them extremely high marks. I own a ED 12K.44 It's ED's "bottom of the line" woofer. I was shocked when it was delivered to me. A year or two ago, I scraped toghether enough cash to buy some JL woofers, some 12w0's and they sounded alright. I spent about $120 each on them. This woofer, I spent $150, and it had a magnet as big as a small birthday cake on it, and a good size voice coil, tinsel leads woven into the surround, features you usually find on subs that cost twice as much. I put it into a .85 cuft fiberglass stealth box (driver's side). the displacement of the woofer cut it down to .75 I'm putting 500 watts RMS into it from a 6-year old Fosgate amp, and it hits so frigging hard I can't see straight, and I can feel air moving in and out of my nostrils. all for $150. I am extremely happy with it. Now, what if you bought ED's flagship model, put it in a barely oversize sealed box (1.25 cuft) and gave it full recommended power (500-1000w)? Scary. Since ED has just moved from the flat cone design (supplier problem) to a new aluminum cone and improved motor structure, they are selling them at a discount for pre-orders. If you are going to jump on a sub, I suggest you take a good look at them. Good luck.
P.S. I really like the glasswork you've had done in your hatch, it's pretty nice.

Last edited by Snootch; 06-16-2004 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Junkie

thanx... ive never heard of them but hell ill take another look... you got any littature on them (indpedent reviews) their site seemed kinda skimpy so i really didnt give em much thought but i guess so does mmats site now that i think about it ill do some lookin round any extra info would be appriciated
Old 06-17-2004, 12:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

heads up on the eD, been hearing alot of negitive things about them lately, I would hold off and see what happens after the dust settles

heres a little tid bit.....makes for interesting reading
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showt...age=1&pp=15
Old 06-17-2004, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Visionxorb
heads up on the eD, been hearing alot of negitive things about them lately, I would hold off and see what happens after the dust settles

heres a little tid bit.....makes for interesting reading
http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showt...age=1&pp=15
Wow, seriously, stupid drama.
All I know, I paid for a good woofer, got it, and it frigging slams. Been doing it for 6 months with no problems. Looks like the crap that's being flung back and forth is in regards to the 1st generation of subs. I've never owned them. I have a 2nd generation flat-cone. I heard there was a problem from the build-house on the 15A 2nd gen woofer where the VC would come unglued from the cone and slam into the back of the cone, cracking it. But the woofers we pointed Jpr5690 to is the 3rd gen. It just looks like some people have thier noses out of joint about some personal issues with the owner, and it has childishly spilled out into the forums. Oh well. I think that attacking someone's product publicly, and business is uncalled for if you have a beef with the owner of the company. All I know is that the woofers I and my friend have purchased have been top-notch.
Old 06-17-2004, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Adire got the same type of bashing with tinsel lead slap when the first few Brahma's were released. Both Elemental and Adire are mainly internet based companies. When somebody has a problem with their sub, they jump on the net. Ask, how many subs had defects all together? And then, how many subs were sold total? It a small percentage. No more then any of the big name main stream companies. You just see all the cases here on the internet...instead of returning your busted Rockford to Best Buy...... I'm running Adire all the way around and love it. The claims on Adire's and ED's site are true. All the numbers, all the graphs. True. Not inflated, but 100% accurate.

Quick Reply: punch hx2 fried upgrade suggestions?