PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Accel Gen 7 Questions

Old 06-16-2004, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Accel Gen 7 Questions

Does the 77050 kit work in sequential mode? There seems to be an additional piece of hardware in the LS1 kit, is that the driver for the coils?

Also is there any way to get knock sensing to work? They don't have a knock kit for the LS1, and it would be nice to have in case you get a bad tank of gas or something.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:29 AM
Teching In

i have a knock sensor on mine it is the part# with ls1 at the end it has sensetivety ajustments that will muffal nosy cams with the pro key i run mine sequentail the box is the engien control moduel it runs the coils i had mine tuned at src in florida they are good people my 383 made almost 500 rearwheel with the accel nice kit
Old 06-18-2004, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Like what JS/ Pm me please
Old 06-18-2004, 10:04 AM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hum, No bad things to report here. Works Fantastic.

Ryan K.
Old 06-19-2004, 03:17 AM
Teching In

js it is a ls1 i think it is an awesome cpu and data logger with the fuel analysis and the wide band, i tuned it myself on the street and had never tuned a car before.i then took it to src street rods and customs they are a emic center and they got me 36 extra horses and a little more toque and showed me the basics the install is pretty easy too it took me 1 day the only thing i dont like is there arent a lot off global calibrations to compare i am going to start a thread on calibrations for the gen7

Last edited by jessterss383; 06-19-2004 at 03:32 AM.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jessterss383
js it is a ls1 i think it is an awesome cpu and data logger with the fuel analysis and the wide band, i tuned it myself on the street and had never tuned a car before.i then took it to src street rods and customs they are a emic center and they got me 36 extra horses and a little more toque and showed me the basics the install is pretty easy too it took me 1 day the only thing i dont like is there arent a lot off global calibrations to compare i am going to start a thread on calibrations for the gen7
Are you running the system with the stock returnless fuel system?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:45 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well the ford guys are reporting problems.
Things like the cpu not taking commands or not holding commands etc...

The LS1 stuff,truthfully I only heard there were problems.
I dont know this to be fact.
Old 06-24-2004, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JS
Things like the cpu not taking commands or not holding commands etc...

The LS1 stuff,truthfully I only heard there were problems.
I dont know this to be fact.
JS,

You know just because some retard somewhere had trouble does not concern me.
There is too much slamming and pimping going on esp on this board. Specific questions are what these forums are good for, for me at least.
Accel DFI has been around for almost 20 years. You don't stay in business that long making junk.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JS
Well I have inside info from a few emics,I was just trying to let u guys know about certain thing I've heard.IMO the BIGGS systen 3 is gonna be the very best setup for the LS1 once its released but again thats only hearsay.

Actually DFI was developed by John Meaney and not by Accel as was FAST and now he's comming out w/the BIGGS 1 2 and 3 and from what I've seen its the best system out.

Time will tell though,FWIW I'd buy a GEN VII for the $$$ u cant beat it especailly if u by it from Mac at Fast track,He has a piggy back harness that adapts the innovative harness to the GEN VII.Saves u ALOT of $$$ over Accel's WB option.
Right now the big stuff 3 system is vaporware. The gen 7 is out, available and used by alot of people. When and if Meaney's latest becomes available, it will quite possibly be the best.
As for EMICS, they are a liability to Accel IMO, there is one in town that recommended a quadrajet to me when I asked about EFI for my 69. Thats not to say there are not some good ones out there, but there are alot of hacks too.

Like you said, for the $$$ the Gen 7 is the best system thats available now.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:44 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

Counterpoint.

I run a FAST standalone and it's a huge difference from an install standpoint from a FAST LT1 standalone. Nobody makes a plug and play harness for the FAST. Mac does not make one. We took the FAST bank/bank harness and cut off the connectors and made it work. Extended some wires too.

Works great once you have it installed.
Old 06-24-2004, 05:51 PM
On The Tree

all i can say about the gen 7 for the ls1 is it sure would be nice if they would come out with an instruction book with theyre kit.just how bright can accell be?
Old 06-24-2004, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by silkey
all i can say about the gen 7 for the ls1 is it sure would be nice if they would come out with an instruction book with theyre kit.just how bright can accell be?

Thats just it, you are supposed to pay retail at an EMIC, then figure it out yourself. The 25% markup you pay the EMIC is supposed to cover support, but it rarely happens.

Accel makes good hardware, but their marketing and support practices need revision.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Heretic
Does the 77050 kit work in sequential mode? There seems to be an additional piece of hardware in the LS1 kit, is that the driver for the coils?

Also is there any way to get knock sensing to work? They don't have a knock kit for the LS1, and it would be nice to have in case you get a bad tank of gas or something.
77050 does work in sequential mode, no additional hardware needed.

System will use any GM-style knock MODULE, the ECM is looking for a ground on the ESC in put to signal knock.

Originally posted by JS

You need to look to someone other than cartek for your info. julio and dave have a bad habit of cutting harnesses, soldering red wires to black wires, and then blaming a Gen 7 for not working correctly. Ask Joe Overton if the Gen 7 has any problems with the LS1 -- or anything else for that matter.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Teching In

my gen 7 took me 2 days to install. it runs in sequential and the knock sensor works flawless. no problems here, i love it the only thing i would think accel would have is a global calibration for a stock ls1 that would be a big help for the tau verses engine coolent temperature. the target injector timing etc. and maybe one for a couple of other cams that would be sweet.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by GTP40
You need to look to someone other than cartek for your info. julio and dave have a bad habit of cutting harnesses, soldering red wires to black wires, and then blaming a Gen 7 for not working correctly. Ask Joe Overton if the Gen 7 has any problems with the LS1 -- or anything else for that matter.

LOL, it's funny how rumors are spread and this is a prime example. I don't know were you get this information, but it's wrong and your comment is

The first harness we received from ACCEL was a prototype and it had 2 bad connections within it. The tubular crimp style connectors that join multiple grounds within the harness were not crimped during the manufacturing of it. They were covered with heat shrink tubing and you wouldn't know that anything was wrong by looking at it. This was causing an intermittent problem and I will leave it at that.

For your information soldering is far more reliable than using a crimped harness, but crimping is more economical. For example air craft harness connections are all soldered or crimped and soldered to the pins that are used in connectors.

BTW, any one out there running a 350+ nitrous system running quicker than low 9s with a GEN-7 in an LS-1? Just curious.

Julio
Old 06-26-2004, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Julio, I'd think that someone of your skills would have been able to uncover a few bad grounds real easy. Can't be the first time you've seen that. But word is that cartek's still struggling to get that very first Gen 7 car running. How much time have you wasted on it?

I'll look on my system - not low 9s but runs better then stock and quicker - and see if the connections are soldered or crimped. Since you have only ever seen a prototype system maybe the production harnesses are soldered. I wonder how many aftermarket systems are soldered vs crimped.

Dale Cherry is up on most EFI systems on the market. Had the BS system been on the market when I purchased my DFI, I'd have taken a good hard look at it. IMHO the system needs to mature a little before it's a viable option.
Old 06-26-2004, 08:03 PM
Teching In

the only problem i had was 98 crank sensors are wired diffrent from 99 up took me a few extra hours to figure that out i will check my harness too see if it is sodered or crimed the other question i still want to ask is on the grounds for the back of the heads there is on ground labeled(shielded ground)
i just put it to the back of the head like accel said is that right were did you guys put it what is a sheilded ground?
Old 06-27-2004, 05:50 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=GTP40]Julio, I'd think that someone of your skills would have been able to uncover a few bad grounds real easy. Can't be the first time you've seen that. But word is that cartek's still struggling to get that very first Gen 7 car running. How much time have you wasted on it?
QUOTE]

Struggling? I would say it's more like we are giving up on it.

It's very discouraging to work with a EFI system that drops minimum values on parts of the main VE map with out making any changes to it. The nitrous parameters is another problem with this system that I could go into.

I think the harness is just one of the problems. Maybe the newer units have less problems, for now we are stuck with this prototype.

Julio
Old 06-27-2004, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tekhombre
Struggling? I would say it's more like we are giving up on it.

It's very discouraging to work with a EFI system that drops minimum values on parts of the main VE map with out making any changes to it. The nitrous parameters is another problem with this system that I could go into.

I think the harness is just one of the problems. Maybe the newer units have less problems, for now we are stuck with this prototype.

Julio
Sorry to hear that, hopefully you'll get it worked out. It is performing really well for me. I am not spraying, but have talked with people who are using Musi combos with multiple stages and getting good results.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:52 PM
Teching In

mine has not changed any thing unless i changed it thats werd

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More Accel Gen 7 Questions