Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

storing a motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default storing a motor

any tips i need to know of when you store a motor?

I got it on a stand right now and tb and exhaust is taped shut and the oil is drained.

Will it be ok for long term storage? I'm talking about 1-2 years.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i usually use a moly grease and coat anything that is esposed. As long as everything is coated with oil inside it should be ok. You need to keep it out of the direct moisture though...ie in a garage not a leaky shed, or the hot/cold and moisture will condensate inside and it will rust. As long as it stays dry it will be fine. I've got motors that have been on stands in my garage for better than 4 years....granted some of them are just bare blocks and the others are shortblocks.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Taspeed
i usually use a moly grease and coat anything that is esposed. As long as everything is coated with oil inside it should be ok. You need to keep it out of the direct moisture though...ie in a garage not a leaky shed, or the hot/cold and moisture will condensate inside and it will rust. As long as it stays dry it will be fine. I've got motors that have been on stands in my garage for better than 4 years....granted some of them are just bare blocks and the others are shortblocks.
...then bag it.