Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help! I'm having a problem w/ my heads/cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help! I'm having a problem w/ my heads/cam swap

I started my car today after doing my heads/cam swap and the engine sounds really nasty. I put the comp cam lifters in. Do you think it's just the lifters? I don't have the water pump on yet since I wanted to start the car before I get everything back together just to make sure I had oil pressure. I could run the car for only a short time since I don't have the water pump but somebody told me if I let it run for a while it'll quite down. The car runs fine except for making a knocking noise. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot!
Old 06-16-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

The lifters need to pump up and then it should quiet down. If they are Comp R then you need to do some preload adjustments to get them quiet.

Your worst case scenario is some **** fell into the oil passage below the lifters.... that passage leads to all bearings...
Old 06-17-2004, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You ran your car with no coolant in the heads?
Old 06-17-2004, 12:55 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

The first 5-10 seconds of running is going to be SUPER loud. How long did you let it run? Sometimes after a cam swap I've seen it take a few minutes for the lifters to fully quiet down (seemed odd to me, but the car is fine).
Old 06-17-2004, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Without coolant in the block/heads the cavity will act as an amplifier (as on a drum or acoustic guitar). You left a nice opening at the front (water pump hole) for the sound to exit. The coolant acts dampens the sound in the engine.
Add this to the extra noise of the un-pumped lifters and I would expect it to sound like shaking nails in a cookie jar!

Tom.
Old 06-17-2004, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tommy Tucker
Without coolant in the block/heads the cavity will act as an amplifier (as on a drum or acoustic guitar). You left a nice opening at the front (water pump hole) for the sound to exit. The coolant acts dampens the sound in the engine.
Add this to the extra noise of the un-pumped lifters and I would expect it to sound like shaking nails in a cookie jar!

Tom.
I agree with that....