Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 10:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Harmonic Balancer

I just put in a new SLP double roller timing chain and oil pump in my 99 LS1. When re-installing the harmonic balancer, if I push it on far enough to get the 0.095-0.176 dimension, the engine locks up. I can only get as close as 0.200 without any issues. Should I assume that once I install the bolt and torque it that it will pull the balancer in again an jam me up? Has anyone had this problem? HEPL!
Old 06-18-2004, 12:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have not had this problem, and I do have a double roller. I would say yes, if you put the bolt in and torque it, it'll probably pull it in more and jam up.

Is this the stock balancer or an ASP? Because with the ASP and a double roller, the balancer will need to be machined so it fits right...the stock ones should have no problems.

The oil pump gear, crank sproket of the timing chain, and the harmonic balancer will all spin as one unit. So, if the balancer goes in too far it will push the oil pump gear in and against the back of the case of the oil pump, and that is where it would be binding.

My guess is the shims that came with the double roller to space the oil pump out are a little too thick. If they were a little thinner, the oil pump would be a little closer to the timing chain and you would be able to get the balancer on all the way w/o hitting the oil pump gear. Know what I mean?

Time for a phone call to SLP...or wherever you got the double roller from...to get some replacement shims.

That's my $.04, hope it helps you somehow...

Last edited by 99ssleeper; 06-18-2004 at 12:52 AM.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Yes it is the stock balancer. You're right, I better give SLP a call. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
I have not had this problem, and I do have a double roller. I would say yes, if you put the bolt in and torque it, it'll probably pull it in more and jam up.

Is this the stock balancer or an ASP? Because with the ASP and a double roller, the balancer will need to be machined so it fits right...the stock ones should have no problems.

The oil pump gear, crank sproket of the timing chain, and the harmonic balancer will all spin as one unit. So, if the balancer goes in too far it will push the oil pump gear in and against the back of the case of the oil pump, and that is where it would be binding.

My guess is the shims that came with the double roller to space the oil pump out are a little too thick. If they were a little thinner, the oil pump would be a little closer to the timing chain and you would be able to get the balancer on all the way w/o hitting the oil pump gear. Know what I mean?

Time for a phone call to SLP...or wherever you got the double roller from...to get some replacement shims.

That's my $.04, hope it helps you somehow...

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer