Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How should I set this up as a daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 01:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How should I set this up as a daily driver?

Im (carefully) planning a swap for my truck (s10) and plan on swapping in an LS1 out of a vette. I want it as a daily driver, but I was also thinking of using a magnacharger. Anyone with a magnacharger know if this would be a NOT good idea? I dont want something that is going to produce uncontrollable amounts of power on the interstate or local roads or cause me to liquefy my tires every time i come off a stop light.

Therefore, im either considering just doing the LS1, or doing one with the magnacharger. Money is a major concern here, so I dont want to spend a ton on something that isnt going to be WELL worth my while in the end.

I some opinions on how to go about doing this. If I do the magnacharger, im obviously not going for all out power, just something to drive daily and take to the track once in a while. If I go with the magnacharger, what are sort of beefing do you guys reccomend, if any. Ill probably doing like 9 lbs at the very most, and from what I hear these engines will handle that just fine bone stock. I want something that will last though, and will probably want to freshen up the motor as well since it will probably be bought with a few miles on it in the interest of saving cash.

On the other hand, should I not go the charger route, what are some of the other freshening up options would you recommend? Am I better off saving the money from the charger and just going all motor, or doing a mix?

Considering this will be a daily driver, as I said, I just want something MILD. I want it to have a nice purr at idle but be able to wake the neighbors at wot. Since its a truck, ill probably be doing an exhaust straight out the back with slanted tips.

If someone with some experience here could give me an opinion I would appreciate it. If you are going to recommend something, please try and give part names/numbers/identification so that I can look into the price and details on the parts. Also, considering the charger sells new for about as much as I will be paying for the motor, if not more, i plan on getting it used so that I can save some money on that if I choose to go that route.

Thanks a bunch guys!
Old 06-18-2004, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Anything?
Old 06-18-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's best to ask shorter questions

The charger would be cool. But a good Heads & Cam setup would probably make about the same HP.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Any details on that?

Ill try and ask shorter ones next time.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

How much power do you really want in your S-10? If it were me, I'd keep the LS1 w/ your 345hp, put some bolt on additions, and call it a day. 350+ in your truck is going to be pretty stout for a daily driver. If you go blown, and huge H/C package, you'll just loose reliability, and miliage. That's just my thoughts on it though. How much does that truck weigh?
Old 06-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Teching In

With a 4 cyl and 2wd its a little over 3100-3200 lbs or so I believe. The a$$ end is light as hell too, that thing will do a 360 without a problem at all (ive done it a few times before, once right into a guiderail). Im planning on getting a bigger rearend and adding one of those new Eaton Elockers for better traction, and some traction bars as well. So with that in mind, I plan on doing something mild since anything with TOO much power is just gonna eat tires and i wont be able to put it all on the ground anyways without some creativity.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Oh, and to answer your question CaptUSA, I was thinking around 400 or so HP. I know with the blower it would have probably well exceeded this number, but I dont want to sacrifice driveability/reliability too much. I would say around 475-500 horsepower would be absolute TOPS, and even that is a bit much. Im not looking to kill myself, just be faster than I am now.
Old 06-18-2004, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You're looking at megabucks anyway you go. Not to mention you will have a hell of a time insuring that s10.
Good luck
Old 06-18-2004, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

I have a 94 s-10 ss which I have research this project for some time and am in the stages of gathering part's for it. I also am building an everyday driver as you are, which has lead me to a few other area's to be concerned with as well.

1.How far are you willing to go with this project bout money wise and driveablity and reliablity wise?
This project is going to cost a bite of money but there are some way's money can be saved. running a 346 ls1 will gain you no more weigh then a 4.3 swap into your truck which is minimal. however if money is a bigger issue a little more weight will be added in a 5.3 or 6.0 but less money will be spent on the motor itself. Also a ls1 vette motor is not worth the work. Buy a camaro motor and vette accesories as it is teh easiest way to fit in.

2.What tranny are you going to run?
A m6 with add more wear and tear on your rear end but maybe more fun to drive. A 4l60e will be easier in a everday driver and have less wear on your rear and may allow you to get away with a stock rear if you don't hammer it nonstop. weigh wise the will be about the same weigh once there are both into the truck.

3.Brakes! this one is one of the most important in this type of swap. I am sure you are aware by now a s-10 doesn't stop so well. I have only found limited number of brake upgrades for a s-10 and all which are front brakes only. I am still looking for more idea's for the front because I don't feel that the avaliable aftermarket brakes are going to be up for the task. I have a idea for the rear brakes that should work great if I can get it to work.

4.suspesion. This is a area that is up to your personaly prefernce as for your driving style and habit's. I added a heavier front sway bar and am going ot put in a rear sway bar and slapper bar's for now. I also am doing a 2/3 drop for looks only.handling will be marginably better but the biggest differnce will be in a good set of tires.

How fast do you realy want this truck? This truck can be in the 12's with out realy any work on a stock ls1 engine. bolt on's and a little bite more extreme suspension such as a four link or ladder bar with a minny tube can net 11's. I havn't seen anyone running much quicker then 11's, even with a good deal of work done to the motor, because they are not able to hook them up.

If you want to take about this more indepth drop me a line and ask question's you might be concerned with. this has been a perticular area of interest for me for the past 2 or 3 year's.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Teching In

Probably a 4L60E.

As far as insurance, TONS of people have done LT1 and LS1 swaps with no problems at all. They havent told me that there is anything special about insurance, so that is my VERY last concern. This is still a truck, not a sports car. Either way they look at it, many trucks these days have V8s, even v10s, so I dont think they can add all that much. If they are gonna charge me more, it isnt gonna be much more than they would if I was driving an F250 or something, its just a smaller truck.

I dont want to just do bolt ons with this. As I said I wont be getting a brand new one so I will want to do a bit of freshening on it. I probably wont go as far as switching out pistons and such, but I want to do a few things to it. I figure if im gonna be inside the thing, I might as well freshen up as much as I can without spending tons of money.

I understand the costs involved already with this, so please dont try and deter me by that. Another guy I have been talking to that swapped one into a 97 said it cost about 8 grand, and he also changed out a few things on the engine as well.
Old 06-19-2004, 08:54 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pewter98
Probably a 4L60E.

As far as insurance, TONS of people have done LT1 and LS1 swaps with no problems at all. They havent told me that there is anything special about insurance, so that is my VERY last concern. This is still a truck, not a sports car. Either way they look at it, many trucks these days have V8s, even v10s, so I dont think they can add all that much. If they are gonna charge me more, it isnt gonna be much more than they would if I was driving an F250 or something, its just a smaller truck.

I dont want to just do bolt ons with this. As I said I wont be getting a brand new one so I will want to do a bit of freshening on it. I probably wont go as far as switching out pistons and such, but I want to do a few things to it. I figure if im gonna be inside the thing, I might as well freshen up as much as I can without spending tons of money.

I understand the costs involved already with this, so please dont try and deter me by that. Another guy I have been talking to that swapped one into a 97 said it cost about 8 grand, and he also changed out a few things on the engine as well.
do your research on how well ls1's respond to bolt ons , you'll be suprised. then add in a decent cam and your at 400rwhp.