Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

summit battery in trunk mount kit>>>

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 11:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default summit battery in trunk mount kit>>>

I want to relocate my battery to the right rear where my spare tire was.
Will the summit kit work?
it reads:
Taylor (brand)
includes:
pre terminated cable ends, 16ft 2-gauge high performance 100% solid copper cable, nhra mandatory 3/8" j-bolt hold downs and tray

will it work?

most importantly what will I do up front? does the red + just hook to the starter and back to the battery? how to do the ground????
Old 04-15-2002, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: summit battery in trunk mount kit>>>

I've heard bad things about hat kit. I would buy a BMR battery bracket and a optima battery and use welding leads (i think thats the part u need) to run the power wire up front.

thats what im gonna do
Old 04-15-2002, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The summit kit isn't really sufficent. 2ga. is not heafty enough to run up to the front. Also, be aware that putting the battery in the passenger compartment requires a sealed metal battery box or Moroso's sealed plastic box to be NHRA legal (if that matters to you) and IHRA prohibits mounting a wet-cell battery in the passenger compartment, but no box is required. Both sanctioning bodies require an exterior accessable master cut off switch that will kill the car and disconnect the electrical system if you move ethe battery from the stock location.
The BMR battery tray is cool and you can get colors, but AFCO has the same thing in unfinished steel for a fraction of the cost.

Here's what I did. I used the AFCO tray, ran 2ga. to a Flaming River Combo Kill switch, 0/1ga to the front of the car to the original battery location. I connected the battery feed to a insulated terminal stud rated for 400amps and ran 1ga to the underhood fuse box and then from there to the alternator. I use soldered lug connections on all cables, except the starter connection. I used the factor starter cable and connector.

If I did it again (a very BIG if), I would run 0/2ga to the front of the car. I get slow cranking when it's cold out, and there is measurable voltage drop at the front terminal stud. I've got a touch over 11.6V at the terminal stud in the front.

<small>[ April 15, 2002, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: Chris Spiess ]</small>
Old 04-15-2002, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like a major pita and I might not even do it.

can't I just go get some car stereo 1/o wire and run it from the front to the rear battery?

how does the ground hook up?

maybe I will just get a lighter battery!

Do I need a battery cut off switch if I leave the battery under the hood????????????????????

Quick Reply: summit battery in trunk mount kit>>>