Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1/LS6 swap, info appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 06:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1/LS6 swap, info appreciated

To begin, I've been searching for hours and have learned quite a bit, but I'm a hardcore fan of muscle imports and this is a new world to me. I've commited to my decision to place an LS1 into my '91 300ZX. (It's been done, twice to my knowledge, and one was S/C'ed) I'm tired of dealing with the weight and the touchiness of DOHC cast iron blocks. There's always something to fix, especially all of the eletronic senors that will ruin your numbers when they burn up. It's so expensive to mod the VG30 with results really coming down to the depth of your wallet. (This is true wherever you go, but with a larger displacement the numbers come cheaper.)

From what I read, it's really just minor internal differences that seperate an LS1 from 6, like heads, cams, and springs. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Is it worth replacing them with Z06 counterparts or going aftermarket when looking to mod for 400-450rwhp?

My other question is as follows:

This is much more economical than replacing my engine, stock-to-stock. Fewer moving parts, less to replace if something breaks. What else is good to purchase for reliability and logevity? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head are metal headgaskets, but maybe it's not the same case for domestics. So any thought trains are greatly appreciated.