Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head recomendations....

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Head recomendations....

hey guys, im lookin to upgrade to a g5x3 and am looking for a set of heads to go with it. right now im looking at the patriot ls6 style. mostly because i know i can get the 11.3 cr and still run that cam. anybody got any better ideas? ive already got all the boltons and a yank st3500 but might be upgrading that to a 4000-4400.
Old 06-20-2004, 08:17 PM
10 & 11 Second Club

You should talk to Jay at Absolute, his heads are probably the best on the market for LS1- LS6 motors( best flow #s + reliable). His prices are as good as Patriot and you dont here of any problems with his heads, Patriot heads with problems are the norm.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Caveman
You should talk to Jay at Absolute, his heads are probably the best on the market for LS1- LS6 motors( best flow #s + reliable). His prices are as good as Patriot and you dont here of any problems with his heads, Patriot heads with problems are the norm.

A set of Patriot heads went 10.2's at over 130mph this past weekend after the N vs S shoot out too on a 346 ci motor. Maybe someone can post up the numbers from some of the cars that were running Absolute's heads

Bottom line is.. do the research and look at the results from both companies, both heads perform the same.. one just has quicker delivery and better customers support (you can actually call and talk to them).. just try a search.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gomer
A set of Patriot heads went 10.2's at over 130mph this past weekend after the N vs S shoot out too on a 346 ci motor. Maybe someone can post up the numbers from some of the cars that were running Absolute's heads .
10.20s with a solid roller, 200R4 with trans brake, 3200 lbs, and heads that are much much much different than the "average" set of PP "LS6" heads out there. Taking nothing away from the accomplishment, but its nothing that any good set of heads on a high $$$ 346 forged high compression solid roller should be able to do.

Bottom line is.. do the research and look at the results from both companies, both heads perform the same.. one just has quicker delivery and better customers support (you can actually call and talk to them).. just try a search.
If you want to bang the drum for searching, search for catastrophic engine failures of AS headed cars. Search for sub 400rwhp AS headed cars. Search for AS heads with bad valves or repeatedly broken springs. Search for AS heads with bad valve seals. Probably won't find much. You will find out that Jay is sometimes hard to get a hold of, as Gomer alluded to. Big deal, IMO. Not bashing PP, just playing devils advocate. If you're going to search the history of heads, look at them all IMO. Now, I'll be the first to say that PP headed cars have done extremely well lately, but it seems that some of the first customers were "guinea pigs", and that their product was rushed to the public, and some people paid for it dearly. IMO

PS: I got your PM, should have looked me up, Shawn
Old 06-20-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
10.20s with a solid roller, 200R4 with trans brake, 3200 lbs, and heads that are much much much different than the "average" set of PP "LS6" heads out there. Taking nothing away from the accomplishment, but its nothing that any good set of heads on a high $$$ 346 forged high compression solid roller should be able to do.
Other than the cam,motor combo,this head has the same porting work that the other LS6 styles have.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stand corrected, I spoke to Joseph on Saturday, and thought that he said these were "maxed out", and had work done to them at a Sunset Racecraft or something like that.... If these are indeed the $1800 "LS6" heads that anyone can buy, congrats, that is impressive. Good numbers lately, who knows, I may even buy a set of PP heads soon

Shawn
Old 06-20-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to bang the drum for searching, search for catastrophic engine failures of AS headed cars. Search for sub 400rwhp AS headed cars. Search for AS heads with bad valves or repeatedly broken springs. Search for AS heads with bad valve seals. Probably won't find much. You will find out that Jay is sometimes hard to get a hold of, as Gomer alluded to. Big deal, IMO. Not bashing PP, just playing devils advocate. If you're going to search the history of heads, look at them all IMO. Now, I'll be the first to say that PP headed cars have done extremely well lately, but it seems that some of the first customers were "guinea pigs", and that their product was rushed to the public, and some people paid for it dearly. IMO
If you want to play "what if", what if the engine failure was actaully patriots fault and not gm's? What if every AS headed car made the same numbers as others? What if AS's heads actually were in the price range of Patriots? If your gunna play the advocate, at least get some good info. There is nothing wrong with Patriots heads, and as long as the combo is good, your numbers will be as good, if not better than anyone elses.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good numbers lately, who knows, I may even buy a set of PP heads soon

Shawn
That sounds better.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:11 AM
TECH Resident

A set of Patriot heads went 10.2's at over 130mph this past weekend after the N vs S shoot out too on a 346 ci motor. Maybe someone can post up the numbers from some of the cars that were running Absolute's heads

There is a lot more to a car then just the heads it runs... You can claim how your dyno queen makes the most power, or how the other guy ran 10.2... but when it comes down to it you cant just say they are the fastest because of the heads they run... Otherwise the G5X3 is the best cam in the world because the cam only record is held by a guy with that cam... and I KNOW you are going to debate that one!