Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

MSD RPM Activated Switch question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSD RPM Activated Switch question

HELP, I'm Stumped!

I have a 2000 TA. I am connecting a brand new MSD RPM Activated switch with a 3000rpm module in it. Probably only someone with the same unit can understand the following info:

I connected the red to a 12v positive source that is active while the ignition is on.
I connected the black to a ground.
I connected the white to the #10 white wire from my PCM for the tachometer.

I am testing the yellow (which is a open ground that closes when active) to see if it "Activates" at 3000 rpm and it does not. (The circuit does not close above 3000 rpm)

The grey wire (which is a closed ground that opens when active) also does not open after 3000 rpm. It does however show a closed circuit when the ignition is ON showing the Switch seems to be getting power correctly.

I am thinking the problem lies somewhere with it detecting the rpm. I do not know of anyway of testing the tach wire, short of buying an aftermarket tach and hooking it to it....

Also, do we have to run our tachs (and rpm switches) in 4-cyl mode? I thought I read something about that. Could that be causing the problem?

Thanks for any info! Time for a beer...

Tommy
Old 06-20-2004, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I answered my own question... I set it for 4-cyl mode and it works fine now....