Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve spring removal problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 02:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Valve spring removal problem...

Im currently rebuilding my 67 Firebird 400 ci and i have the whole block torn apart and im trying to get these damn springs off!!!!

I have two types of valve spring compressors a stud type and the 3 claw looking type. Both do not seem to work..

When ever i compress the spring down the valve goes down with it so basically its compressing everything. The keepers seem to be like stuck the valve stem pretty good. Ive tried just about everything, ive tried putting the piston at TDC, using a an air compressor to try to keep the valve up, putting WD-40, taping the keepers and valve stem with a hammer to try to loosen them, and even sticking a screwdriver up the sparkplug hole to try to keep the valveup while i compress.. no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions??
Thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:39 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

compress the spring lightly and tap the retainer with a hammer, the locks should loosen up out of the retainer.
Old 06-21-2004, 03:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was just doing mine on the car this weekend.it would do it the first time and I just let the compressor build up pressure and try it again .only problem I have was doing the #8 spring.what a pain in the ***.all done now.feels good after its finish.good luck.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or you can put a long screwdriver on the coil and tap it this should help tremedously with 7 and 8 and any others that may be hard to free