Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

bad rear wheel cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question bad rear wheel cylinder

Can a bad rear wheel cylinder cause a clunking noise from the rear rotor. The thing is I see that I have a bit of brake fluid leaking from the rear of my wheel cylinder were the emergency brakes come into the back of the rotor.

1)Is this an easy fix on a 99TA?

2)Is this a single sold part or more hardware needed with purchase?

3)Does this sound like my problem?

Old 06-22-2004, 12:22 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummm, if you have a 99 T/A, then you have rear disc brakes and therefore no wheel cylinders.

My guess would be you have 1) a leaking axle seal and 2) something loose in the brakes (caliper or caliper bracket bolt) causing the noises.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A) No wheel cylinders on disc brakes.

B) Leaking brake fluid is no good. Probably need a new caliper. Clean it all off with brake parts cleaner, let it dry, and then stare at it while a friend pumps the brakes slowly and see where it is coming from. It could be the caliper, the hose, or even the bleeder valve. Anyway, fix it!!!
Leaking fluid can not only ruin your pads, it can screw up your entire system due to air getting into the system on the rebound stroke. So yeah, fix it.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:30 PM
Teching In

thanks for the input. Using wheel cylinder may have been a bad choice of words. It's more like the emergency brake adjuster at the bottom of the inner axle. It's located behind the rear rotor. Is there some sort of seal in that thing? That is where the leak is from.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sounds like the axle seal is leaking. You need to replace it asap, cuz if it fails and the fluid drains out of the differential ...
Old 07-06-2004, 05:26 PM
Teching In

Well I found out what the problem was. What I thought was brake fliud turned out to be gear oil from the rear end. My bearing (outter) right behind the rear rotor had went bad. This caused the bearing to eat into the axle and giving enough slack for gear oil to leak though and allow the clucking noise. Just thought I would let you guys know what happened if you ever had the same problems. Thanks for all the input.

Quick Reply: bad rear wheel cylinder