Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vigilante 3200

Old 06-22-2004, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vigilante 3200

I am thinking about buying a vig 3200 multi disc from someone. My question is what is multi disc and is a 3200 a good stall for my car. I will be running street tires sometimes and nitto 555r's other times. Should i go bigger? Also i am buying this stall used , any idea how much it would cost new?
Old 06-22-2004, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
I am thinking about buying a vig 3200 multi disc from someone. My question is what is multi disc and is a 3200 a good stall for my car. I will be running street tires sometimes and nitto 555r's other times. Should i go bigger? Also i am buying this stall used , any idea how much it would cost new?
well i have a vig3200 and its more like 3800
i really dont kno much about multi-disc but im sure it cant hurt. you will need to run nitto drags at all times thats for sure! try callin PI and see what they about it or try and do some research on the board here by using the search button and see what people are saying about a multi-disc in general. im not sure if you need a multi-disc, but a regular vig3200 with a 2.5 str works great on the street.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:37 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks,

I did a little searching on it but didnt find anything saying exackly what the mult disc was for but i know it lets u lock it w/o burning it up. Whatever that means. Im still doing some searching tho thanks. BTW how loose does it feel and what gears do u have?

Also hows the rear holding up w/ that combination? Do you go easy out of the hole to save ur rear or just give it hell?
Old 06-22-2004, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
Thanks,

I did a little searching on it but didnt find anything saying exackly what the mult disc was for but i know it lets u lock it w/o burning it up. Whatever that means. Im still doing some searching tho thanks. BTW how loose does it feel and what gears do u have?

Also hows the rear holding up w/ that combination? Do you go easy out of the hole to save ur rear or just give it hell?
it is a loose converter. i have 323's. with 342's it may be just a tad bit tighter. im not hard on my car unless theres a reason. i really havent raced much, but if i do i will probably creep outta the whole than nail it.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Thats what i am getting I went to order a vig 3200 and since im runing a blower They recomended the multi (3) disc version, so I dont burn it up when locked however Im gonna have it tuned for street driving and probly wont have it locked(so my tuner said) But its more for safty I wouldnt want to burn up a T/C personaly.

its about $150 more than the single.

Local shops doing single $799 milti $950 you can get them cheaper on line so Value is relative I sapose.
Old 06-22-2004, 03:33 PM
Sweet Cheeks

I ran a standard 3200 Vigi with a 3.73 and it was a blast around town. I highly recommend it for a street car with boltons. I decided to get more serious and sold it to get a YTP4200. Viscious.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

a 3200 multi-disc will not be a 3800 true stall the way a standard vig 3200 will be....the multi-disc converters tend ot be built more for nitrous/forced induction applications. they will be relatively tight on motor alone and won't be as effective for a looser, standard converter if u intend to run on motor alone.

a friend of mine has a 3800 multi-disc....the 3800 rating is on nitrous and on motor, the car only stalls to 2600. joust something to think about.

under normal circumstances though, i agree that a vig 3200 (non-multi-disc) is an excellent converter for a street car that runs N/A.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:53 AM
11 Second Club

good to hear, thanks. Stalling to the 3200 wouldnt stall high at all then.

Last edited by Tiger2o69; 06-24-2004 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
under normal circumstances though, i agree that a vig 3200 (non-multi-disc) is an excellent converter for a street car that runs N/A.
I don't know man, my car runs VERY well on nitrous with the single disc verter.
Old 06-24-2004, 06:24 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had my vig3200(nonmultidisc) for almost a year its great and have had no problems. I had my transmission done about 6 months ago and now mine stalls up to about 4200 on the foot. I drive it everyday about 400-600 miles a week its very good. At the track I leave right off of idle on drag radials 1.6-1.7 60'
Old 06-24-2004, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by toxic99
I don't know man, my car runs VERY well on nitrous with the single disc verter.
yea i didnt say it wouldnt...i just said a multi-disc wont work that well OFF nitrous.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

The disc in a torque conveter are only applied during lockup of the converter which is normally only in 3rd and overdrive . More disc makes it more durrable and stronger in lockup to prevent failure and lower the risk of fatigue and wear . So if you run a high mph in the quarter mile its possible that your lockup will engage so a higher disc converter would be helpfull , basically its definitly not gonna hurt ya . Now i run a vig 3200 in my car . My car is an lt1 so it makes a lil more torq stock then a ls1 stock but not as much horsepower so the low end is a lil better but i can still give you an example . Before I installed my converter i went 13.89 @ 100 MPH and after I installed the converter i went a best time of 13.11 @ 102 with the same mods and a set of nitto dr's . So I deifinitly would recommend it cause I love my Converter . As far as a "stall" that the guys are explaining i belive there refering to what the converter will footbrake to . By footbrake I mean how far can you get the rpm's to with one foot on the gas and one on the brake before the tires will break loose . This is not gonna be the 3200 RPM's as advertised . 3200 is what the converter will flash too . Basically flash means how high rpms will get till the converter applies 100 percent power to the drivetrain , it basically slips untill then . Im not sure what your mods are but 3200 is a great converter for a stock motor with bolt ons and its also great for a good shot of nitrous . I don't reccomend going any bigger unless your motor is really built for the higher rpm's and a bigger torque band . And I really wouldn't go much over 3600 for Nitrous applications due to the torq the nitrous makes , you won't need the converter to be that high cause the torque will allready be there and your motor will rap out faster . Best thing to do is match the converter to the cam to get the effects that you want . One more thing , a motor that makes more power will usually cause a converter to flash at at higher RPM the advertised , so don't freak you didn't break it lol . I run around on street tires unless im at the track and if you take it pretty easy it won't give you much of a problem . And as far as a gear , your converter will flash at the same RPM no matter what gear you have in your car , but the footbrake rpm may be diffrent between the ratios . Hope any of this helps!
Old 06-25-2004, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

I had a Vig 3200, it's a great converter for both street, strip, motor and N20. I regularly cut 1.60 60's with it. Single disc is a fairly tight converter as will be the multi disc. It should flash about 3600 RPM and you should be able to foot brake to about 2500 RPM before you slide. PI converters come with 1 free restall within the first 2 years of ownership so you might be able to adjust it to suite your needs. I went from the Vig 3200 to a Yank SS3800 and I liked the Vig better. I now have a PI TH-400 4000 stall multi disc converter and love it. You can't go wrong with that converter as long as it's in good shape.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks to everyone! Thats really good information, i have been searching and found a lot of stuff but not as specific as this stuff. Thanks again.
Old 06-25-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'd recomend getting a Yank or something else besides a Vigilante. I got a Vig3200 and have regretted it ever since. It's not a loose converter so streetability is like stock only less of a chance of peeling out in the rain now. I think it's way too small, especially once I added my TR230 cam, the converter got tighter than the car was stock. The car takes off if I let off the brakes. Also, the converter fell apart last year and tore apart my tranny which really sucks. I don't race my car on the street and I've never gotten to take it to the track yet either. I baby my car and yet the converter falls apart on me. The tranny was rebuilt to hold almost anything at Century Automotive but just last night it went out again on my way home from the gym. If the converter fell apart again, no vig is going back in there. Oh this sucks so bad
Old 06-26-2004, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
I'd recomend getting a Yank or something else besides a Vigilante. I got a Vig3200 and have regretted it ever since. It's not a loose converter so streetability is like stock only less of a chance of peeling out in the rain now. I think it's way too small, especially once I added my TR230 cam, the converter got tighter than the car was stock. The car takes off if I let off the brakes. Also, the converter fell apart last year and tore apart my tranny which really sucks. I don't race my car on the street and I've never gotten to take it to the track yet either. I baby my car and yet the converter falls apart on me. The tranny was rebuilt to hold almost anything at Century Automotive but just last night it went out again on my way home from the gym. If the converter fell apart again, no vig is going back in there. Oh this sucks so bad
im confused....i have a Vig 3200 and my car true stalls at like 3800 rpm!!!! that isnt too bad but it DEFINITELY isnt stock streetability.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
I think that you have gotten a bum converter or your tranny guy may be dick'in you around cause as many Vig's that ive installed , Ive never once had a problem with them . The only problem we had with them is on one car it hit like a 6 speed when it flashed and we went through rearends like crazy . Im not saying yank is a bad converter at all either but I don't see why you've had so much problem with your vig unless it was faulty(sp?) . And im not saying your tranny guy is taking advantage of you but sometimes transmission shops will look for anyreason they can to make sure they do not have to warrenty their product . So blaiming it on the torque converter would not be their fault . Now don't take offence to this im just explaining how some shops are and If I were in your position im sure i'd prob be thinking along the lines you are , but ive never expirenced any problem with vig (PI) converters .
Old 06-26-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know people say the vig3200 is actually bigger than that and I wouldn't doubt it though I don't think it's really a 3800. I know there is a big difference from stock but it doesn't take long to get used to at all. The performance it gave me at WOT was awesome compared to stock but I don't think it was really that loose at all. The only wierd thing was when at WOT, when my tranny hit 3rd, the rpms would stay up but it wouldn't really keep accelerating much so I knew there was a problem already. Then the tranny went out a week after I got my new cam install. Maybe the cam placed too much pressure on the converter or something since it was too small for the big cam, I dunno but it's now gone out twice with this cam. I couldn't have gotten a bum converter twice in a row, mine was sent back to vigilante. As for my tranny guy, he is supposed to be one of the best in the country, he does a lot of 200 4-r stuff but also builds one of the best 4l60es. They documented one of his buildups in one of the GMHTP magazines a few months ago. I don't see why he would intentionally do anything bad but I guess it's always possible.
My car is my daily driver but I still just didn't think the vig3200 was that big. Especially once I got the cam cuz it got tighter than stock, like it was hard to get it to stay still at a red light cuz it just wanted to take off.
I have to figure out now where to take my car cuz I need it fixed soon!
-Chris
Old 06-26-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

I have a Vig 3200 and love it. I run N/A and on spray! I was talking to madman yesterday and he runs a 3000 stall. It flashes like a 4000 when he sprays( he runs 8.5`s in the 1/4 on spray). Like the guys earlier was saying. On spray you get the most TRQ at a lower rpm. I get 560rwtq at 3200rpms and its sweet. Mine flashes like a 3800 on gas and lower N/A. I was cutting 1.6 60fts with major wheel hope. My car is lowered without relocation brackets. I fixed that yesterday at madmans! I can`t wait. From a roll You will run with any 6sp with mods for mod! Good luck!
Old 06-29-2004, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had my Vig3200 for about 18K miles. Runs like a champ and so far a 1.70 60ft on Nitto's. Has a lot more left in it but I have a stock suspension and have never run slicks or ET Streets.

beardWS6, I'm looking at buying the Madman LCA's. I was also looking into relocation brackets but I heard with his LCA's they aren't necessary. Know anything about this?

Search this Thread