PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reset LTRIMS...will it knock until trims are re-learned?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reset LTRIMS...will it knock until trims are re-learned?

I am getting some weird inconsistent knock retard after changing my tune and resetting LTRIMS. I have not bumped up my timing above 1200 rpms any above stock. Can you get a lean knock until the computer figures it out? Log attached if you want to look at it. (PLEASE LOOK)

The LTRIMS are positive while I try to stabilize them.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:38 AM
FormerVendor

IMHO I think this would only hold true if you were running lean and the PCM had to add fuel to meet the desired AFR. If you were at a place where you were running - LTRIMS then i dont see why resetting it (0) would make it knock
Old 06-22-2004, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

Any time the PCM is flashed, it then needs a good 40 minutes of drive time using all engine conditions for the LONG TERM trims to get re-averaged.
LTFTs are only acted on by PCM once every 10 minutes so never go by the values until you have enough relearn time.
A good clue the trims are relearned is the short term values in the beginning will be jumping all around, as PCM averages trims out they short term values will change much slower.
Your scanner showed in that drive the long terms are 13% too lean and up to 10 degrees of timing yanked due to knock.
Your left STFT went 21% lean while right was 14% lean.
Old 06-22-2004, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Team ZR-1
Any time the PCM is flashed, it then needs a good 40 minutes of drive time using all engine conditions for the LONG TERM trims to get re-averaged.
LTFTs are only acted on by PCM once every 10 minutes so never go by the values until you have enough relearn time.
A good clue the trims are relearned is the short term values in the beginning will be jumping all around, as PCM averages trims out they short term values will change much slower.
Your scanner showed in that drive the long terms are 13% too lean and up to 10 degrees of timing yanked due to knock.
Your left STFT went 21% lean while right was 14% lean.
That's what I got out of it too...so that is what probably caused the knock right?
Old 06-22-2004, 02:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You may also see your timing slide down, if you still
have a low octane table with "mellower" settings than
the high octane spark table. That may kill the knock
before LTFTs get settled, even. And take its own
sweet time about coming back out.

I think the "Knock Learn Factor" PID may show you
what's up, with that (but haven't played with it in
HPTuners logging, yet).
Old 06-22-2004, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Another_User
That's what I got out of it too...so that is what probably caused the knock right?
If you had done enough driving time for the PCM relearn and still are that lean then it is valid knock and you need more fuel flow, if you cannot adjust injector pulse width to be on longer then injectors 9 out of 10 times are too small for the engines ability.
Being in that run you only went to like 2500 RPMs for WOT and the timing was 25 degrees I would slant to you do not have enough injector if after the PCM relearn and your still 13% too lean.
I'd shoot for like 28 degrees timing at WOT if you have the fuel flow to support it.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Team ZR-1
If you had done enough driving time for the PCM relearn and still are that lean then it is valid knock and you need more fuel flow, if you cannot adjust injector pulse width to be on longer then injectors 9 out of 10 times are too small for the engines ability.
Being in that run you only went to like 2500 RPMs for WOT and the timing was 25 degrees I would slant to you do not have enough injector if after the PCM relearn and your still 13% too lean.
I'd shoot for like 28 degrees timing at WOT if you have the fuel flow to support it.
I didn't give it a lot of time for relearn. I will drive it around some more and see what happens.