New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Issues

Old 06-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator Issues

I'm not really sure on where this should go, so an Admin can move if need be.

I am having problems with my car eating batteries and alternators. I have a Optima Yellow Top and a 180 amp on there now, and it still is going dead. I'm drawing a complete blank on what's causing the problem. Does anyone have an idea on what's causing it? Ground Strap? Wiring Harness? If anyone can help, please drop me a line. I'm ready to just take all the electronics off and take it to a shop and let them have at it. I have put a A/F gauge, Fuel Pressure, and Trans Temp gauge on the car. I have also put a remote start and neons ( both which are coming off tonight ). This didn't start until after the neons went on but I didn't tap them into any different place than what I already use for power. Please...any help would greatly be appreciated.

James
Old 06-22-2004, 10:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why don't you put an ammeter between the neons
and the power source, with them off, and see if the
setup has a current draw when "off"? Same for the
remote start, that has to have some idle current to
run the receiver, right? May be more than you think.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Its not that unusual... when the alternator died on my car, i went through three more in like a week and a half before i finally got one that didnt die... So maybe your just gettin faulty alternators.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Well I got two from Autozone that were stock replacements. But I just got this 180 Amp from an alternator shop that does race applications in Texas. But I just took her home at lunch and she ran 13.5 all the way home. So I'm gonna start looking at some things tonight. I have a rally to go to in two weeks and I need the car to be 100%. I'll keep you guys posted.

james

Search this Thread