New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Camaro Z28 question

Old 06-22-2004, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Camaro Z28 question

So I have been on the hunt for a 1998-1999 Z28 for the past couple months, without much luck. I found a 1999 Z28 convertible with 67,000 miles that is fully loaded at a dealership in a bordering state. It is pewter with a black top, fully loaded, and has the nice 16 inch chrome wheels(exactly what I have been looking for). The problem is that the car is priced at $15,995. Doesn't this price seem kinda high considering the miles, or is this an ideal price at a dealership for this type of car? I called telling them I have a trade in(2001 ford focus zx3 w/ 50k miles, but i still owe $7,000,) and $12,000 cash. They said that they can work with me on the price and can probably make something happen. They also told me they have a broker that works for them and he might be able to help me out. But I have no idea what a broker does. I guess my main question is, does anyone that has dealt with a dealership buying a Z28 think that I have any chance of getting this car, or is it just wishful thinking on my part? I am obviously hesitant to drive to this dealership considering the distance, but I will do anything if I have a chance of owning this car. Give me some advice on what to do guys. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Avoid trading in your zx3,pay it off first(after paid-off /$5000cash left),try selling it yourself to get the max$$.Not sure how much you can get,check local paper/on-line ads/Kbb-pirvate seller price.Once you've done that,take all the cash and go looking.Dealership(broker)are not the nicest people,don't trust them.Also,used F-body are plentiful,if you can't get that camaro at a reasonable price,it's no the end of the world,keep looking.Sooner or later you will find your car.Hope this help......
Old 06-22-2004, 07:15 PM

16K for a 99 Z is crazy. They gonna lube you up first.
Old 06-22-2004, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

#1 - Dont trade the focus in. Youll be LUCKY to get 4g's for it. Just pay it off with the cash you have.

#2 - The dealer will try to do whatever he can to make you buy the car off of EMOTION. Be level headed.

#3 - Negotiate the purchase price, NOT the payments

#4 - They probably took the car in for between 10-11g's. I say offer 11g's, but if you get out of there under 13g's youll be set. No matter what the guy says, you can get it for lower than 13g's.

---I used to work at a Car Dealership (quit last month). If you take my advice, youll be fine---

Also, no matter what they say, unless you have HORRIBLE credit (FICO below 550), your cash will be plenty amount for a down payment.

I say you pay off the Focus, put 5g's down on the camaro, and then sell your Focus on the street. With the money you get from the Focus you can either make a huge payment on the Camaro, or use the money to mod the car.

Payments should be around $250 for 36 months, $200 for 48 months and $170 for 60 months.

That is based with 5k cash down and a purchase price of 13K. If they show you a payment of $250 for 60 months (like the most likely will), tell them that you don't want a warranty included in the payment.

NUMBER ONE RULE!!! - Negotiate PRICE first, not payment.

Let me know how it turns out.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tryan,
Where do you live. I live out in cali and I am prolly going to sell my 98 black Z28. It had 45,000 miles, is an auto hardtop with some mods, nothing crazy, and a nice stereo. It also has the crome 5-spoke stock rims. I am trying to get about 13,200, but will negotiate price for a fellow LS1tech member. Just in case this is what you are looking for. Happy hunting and just stick with it either way, you will find what you are looking for.
-Kyle
Old 06-22-2004, 08:13 PM
Launching!

Im not sure what the market is like where you are at, but I paid $15k for my 99 Trans Am ragtop with 45k miles and that was a little over a year ago. I think you would be paying too much.

Search this Thread