Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sources of power?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unhappy Sources of power?

I'm trying to find some 12v sources of power under my front dash to hook up a few lights. I tapped into my cigarette lighter power and that seemed to be working fine until it all of a sudden just stopped receiving power one day (of which I can't figure out why in the hell it did that). And, i don't want to tap into the change holder light because that is switched and I want constant power. Any more ideas of which wires (extremely specifically if possible) that I can tap into?
Old 06-23-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your cigarette lighter quit working probably because the lights drew too much current through the accessory circuit, blowing the fuse. What you should do is hook up a 10 or 12 gauge wire to the 12v terminal on the driver's side under the hood. It is located between the fuse box and the headlight, and mounted in a small red box with a + sign on the cover. Hook up a 10 or 12 gauge wire to that with a fuse holder and the proper value fuse, then run to the lights.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks. I'll try and do that tonight. But, how do I figure out what size fuse to use? Also, I looked through all of the fuses in my two fuse boxes under the hood but didn't come across any that were blown. Where is this accessory fuse located?
Old 06-24-2004, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Thanks. I'll try and do that tonight. But, how do I figure out what size fuse to use? Also, I looked through all of the fuses in my two fuse boxes under the hood but didn't come across any that were blown. Where is this accessory fuse located?
There are two fuse box locations. The ones under the hood, and there is one on the driver's end of the dash. Open the door, and look at the dash, can't miss it. That's where the fuse is. Figuring out the fuse to use... Find out the amount of current the lights draw (in Amps) then use that (or round up) value fuse. Here are the parts you will need from you local radio shack:
Ring connector: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=64%2D3120
Fuse holder: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...Fid=270%2D1234
Wire: http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=278%2D565
Old 06-24-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Oh, DUHH, I knew about that fuse box *extreme brain fart*. Anyways, AWESOME, thanks for all the help and links!!