New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hiya! I got me a 2000 Z28, Nice to meet you all :)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hiya! I got me a 2000 Z28, Nice to meet you all :)

I just stepped up to a 2000 Z28 with 30k miles on it. I love it. it's stonger than a horse. (way stronger than a horse) Im looking for my first few mods that will kep my ride in top shape, street legal, and beating the hell out or rice burners and fords. Any advice would be helpful. Nice to meet everyone, talk to everyone soon.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Welcome
Old 06-25-2004, 06:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Welcome I would start with a Air Lid, Cutout, and some Drag Radial's.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hey, congrats on the car bro. i would suggest a lid, new airfilter, and a catback, but thats just my 2 cents. there is a lot of info on this board so just look around and try to pick up all the info you can. we cant really suggest anything because we dont know what you want to do with it exactly. just look around in all the forums and decide what works for you. and be aware that jrp is most likely to tell you to search. anyway, welcome!
Old 06-25-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Watch out for group purchases too in the sponsors section. You can get some good deals in there. And everything you hear about jrp is true.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:14 PM
STF Veteran

Welcome to the board!

Lid, catback, ported TB.
Old 06-25-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Man Congrats on your new ride. I'm partial to the 2000 Camaro's myself Everybody does lid first. It's probably the single, cheapest bang for your buck you can get. This site is AWSOME, so stick around. You'll learn a lot about your car. I would go w/ the lid & filter first, then some exhaust. I went w/ flowmaster, because it was dirt cheap, and it sounds great. There are better flowing exhausts out there (which I'm sure people will step in to clarify), but I choose on sound, as the hp difference between them all is in the single digits. And JRP will tell you to search, but I just did my first internal mod (a new camshaft), and I couldn't have done it w/ out him. Laterz.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Welcome to the Board. I would go with a Drag Radial, Lid, Cutout as well...
Old 06-25-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

AWESOME! glad to hear.. get Lid, and Filter.. and then catback exhuast.. and you will be on your way.. to a fast and loud car.
Old 06-25-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

read the post about planning, that is an excellent point. as far as exhaust goes, it all depends on what you are doing next. the SLP loudmouth is great. very free flowing, and very loud. staright through design, so its one of the least restrictive catbacks you can get. flowmaster wont give you much of a hp gain. they do sound great though, just not very loud. those are the only two i know about personally. go to the external engine section, jrp has a sticky at the top that talks about exhaust, not just catbacks. good luck with whatever you do!
Old 06-25-2004, 05:11 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

guess my reputation preceeds me , but nobody cant say that i dont help a muthafucka out

and welcome
Old 06-25-2004, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

what can we say? youre legendary
Old 06-26-2004, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome to the site, the search button will tell you everything you need to know.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:02 AM
Teching In

Default Yay! I just did My first Mod!

I went out today and got me a flowmaster exhaust with a 3 inch main pipe. I cant believe the difference! My car is way louder and I can feel a bit of a difference in the power. im happy sor far! I also too a trip to our local pro shop and the guy is selling me tis computer thing that hooks into my maintenence port. It's 350 buck s but he said it'll allow me to change a buttload of factoy settings. Any input on this? i was told it will add 32 hp and 17 lbs more tourque. True? My next step will be edlebrock cams and roller bearings. let me knw what you all think
Old 06-26-2004, 06:13 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boingogod
I went out today and got me a flowmaster exhaust with a 3 inch main pipe. I cant believe the difference! My car is way louder and I can feel a bit of a difference in the power. im happy sor far! I also too a trip to our local pro shop and the guy is selling me tis computer thing that hooks into my maintenence port. It's 350 buck s but he said it'll allow me to change a buttload of factoy settings. Any input on this? i was told it will add 32 hp and 17 lbs more tourque. True? My next step will be edlebrock cams and roller bearings. let me knw what you all think
1) flowmaster sounds good but is near the bottom when it comes to HP gain, look into magnaflow, hooker, or slp D/D for a great budget catback

2) unless the guy is selling you predator for 350 dont bother. 32hp/17 is marketing bullshit, plain and simple. my guess is he's trying to sell you HPP3. if you really want to get into the tuning area look into HPtuner.

3) edlebrock doesnt make cams for the ls1, and unless you spun a bearing then they dont need to be replaced. that is of course if you arent doing a rebuild.

your off to a good start but i suggest some more research.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Default thx

thank you for the input. I Just found out that they didnt make a cam and I'll definitly look into the other tuning thing. A predator huh? Gatta find one.
thx again