Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

can a bad pinion seal make noise?

Old 06-25-2004, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can a bad pinion seal make noise?

never had a bad pinion seal on any of my cars before, but I do now

I also have this very annoying tapping, ticking, sheet metal (maybe somehow stress related) sound coming from under the car whenever you give it gas and accelerate, or, when holding the brake while stopped and in gear and giving it gas (just to put a little load on things). it will tap once when you give it gas or sometimes drop into a gear, maybe once or twice when giving it even more gas, but not all the time, if I drive mellow I don't hear it at all.

I guess I'm just wishing this is somehow related.

thanks
Matt
Old 06-25-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im no export but on my old truck, i had a pinging/ticking sound when giving it gas, and come to find out a few hours later I dropped the driveshaft... U-Joints were bad.
Check them first. They probably need to be replaced anyways if its on an '00.
IMO
Old 06-26-2004, 02:43 PM
On The Tree

they need to be replaced if it's a 00? was that a bad year or something for u-joints?

I'm still wondering tho if the seal can make noise... I belive my u-joints are fine...
Old 06-26-2004, 03:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey man, it does sound like you should check your u-joints. 00 is not a bad year for them, they sometimes just go out. remove the driveshaft and see if both u-joints, front and back, move side to side smoothly. usually it is only one, so if they feel different from each other, replace them. on the pinion seal, there is a metal spring in there that holds the seal on the yoke. if this falls out and goes into the houseing, then yes it can cause all sorts of noises, usually ring and pinion noises. i have seen this alot, but if yours fell out, you should have a crap load of fluid coming out of the differential and it will useually burn on the exhuast when driveing on the freeway. is yours this bad?

Search this Thread