Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed converter.... need advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Just installed converter.... need advise

Okay guys i just had a vig 3200 installed in my car. From a stop the car just roasts the tires but bangs the rev limiter. I did it again from a 25mph roll and no spin but when the car got ready to shift into 2nd it got up to about 4500rpm and then just jumped right into the rev limiter, had to let off the gas and let it shift.

I am also having problems with normal driving.Car just shifts sporadically(sp?) but never in too low of a gear... always in too high of a gear.

Also the converter is unlocking on the highway and doesnt want to lock up for several miles.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2004, 08:00 PM
Restricted User

Are you trying to say the trans. is NOT up-shifting correctly? Your description is hard to follow. Is the trans. fluid at the correct level (with car at operating temp.)?
Old 06-25-2004, 08:15 PM
Launching!

sorry man... got so much to say and just cant describe it.

The tranny isnt shifting up right at all under normal driving conditions. I noticed today that it shifted into OD going 30mph and still accelerating. I had to pull it back down into 3rd because it fell on its face. It wasnt WOT accelerating just normally leaving a red light.

Under WOT it hits the rev limiter. Other than that it seems fine! I just had the converter installed and the tranny fluid was topped off then. (yesterday)
Old 06-25-2004, 08:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That converter has changed the slip you see at the top
end; you are probably just turning more RPM for the same
MPH, and your MPH shiftpoint is not met soon enough.
Get that programmed. If you can get somebody to do
your part-throttle shiftpoints too, you'll like things a
whole lot better.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:34 PM
Launching!

i let lou at lg tune it when i got the cam installed but he was in a hurry and i dont think i got a good tune. Also i didnt have the converter back then. I was one of the morons that got a huge cam before i got a converter... need to go back and get him to tune it again. thanks man i was hoping that it wasnt something mechanically wrong!!
Old 06-25-2004, 08:36 PM
Restricted User

Okay, was it bought new or used? Also, do you know if it's a N/L (non-lock) or a Lock-up converter? I think you're just experiencing the differences between a stock conv. and an aftermarket. If you've never done the swap, it's a big difference. The converter will not only flash/stall higher but your motors RPM's will rev more freely (quicker). Again, I think you're just feeling the diff. in "clutch" (the fluids vane to vane transfer) slippage...you'll get used to it. However, have someone check your trans., as jimmy suggested.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might have to explain that you want the part throttle
shifts, lockup, etc. messed around. This is something you
have to do on the street, not the dyno. Maybe they have
something that's a good street shifting program figured
out, or maybe they're just wide-open dyno oriented. But
at least you can ask. A good road racing shift programming
probably would be something you could learn to live with
if that's on tap.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

You need your shift points modified, I had this done after my TC install with a dyno tune. A good dyno tune will eleviate all your problems.

JMHO

SteveC
Old 06-26-2004, 01:20 AM
TECH Veteran

KEEP CHECKING FLUID....some times it takes quite a bit of driving to get all of the air out of the trans. I would check the fluid for at least a week with some driving and add as needed.
Old 06-26-2004, 01:29 AM
Staging Lane

All i can say is that ive installed many converters in stock tune LS1 cars . Vig yank or otherwise . They have never acted funny besides sometimes it'll rap out too quick in 2rd and hit the limiter on the 2/3 shift .So a quick MPH adjustment on a hypertech normally fixed the problem , but it wasn't often that this has happened . To me it sounds like you either have a bum converter that needs attention or the guy who tuned your car has messed with the shiftpoints . I doubt its the trans because the computer tells the trans when to shift and lock up , it will not do it on its own .
Old 06-26-2004, 04:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am going with Camaro Cain also, re-check you Tranny fluid level. I know when I did my VIG 2800, I too had exact same problem and after a day of driving with problem, I re-checked the fluid level and It was low, I added a few quarts and problem was Gone.

Be carefull here though, do NOT overfill. Very Important.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:01 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Fluid level check should be first. But it's not unusual to hit the rev limiter with a higher stall TC. As was said, you need some tuning. Even my mostly stock engine/2.73 gears needed lots of ATAP runs to determine that I was hitting the limiter. I have only HPP3 to adjust with but was able to bump the rev limiter a little and adjust shift points to compensate. Check Ryans' sticky in the tuning section for more info about locking/unlocking. Note: if you're judging the shift by the tach it's probably lagging the true rpm.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:57 PM
Launching!

got plenty of fluid... not judging the shift by the tach. Just judging it by feel
Old 06-29-2004, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Asr_off
...So a quick MPH adjustment on a hypertech normally fixed the problem...
Is there a single adjustable mph parameter or did you just lower the MPH shift points across the board for %TPS?
Old 06-29-2004, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Hey man I had the same problem when I had my pos camaro. All I did is turn off the TQ man. and it solved my prob.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fluid check first then you definitely need a tune. Two things. Turn off TM and make sure misfire code is messed with or you'll have lock-up problems. Your problems with shifting or normal for a torque converter change. Other than it sounds like it was slipping in second when I first read your original post. You did install a cooler right? Hopefully you haven't toasted the 2nd gear band as your original post describes either that or low on fluid which would cause the same.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Launching!

Yes I have a tranny cooler, i still have second its just not shifting quite right
Old 06-30-2004, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I understand you still have second. But you stated that once it reached 4500 RPM it jumped to whatever your rev limiter is set at. That is normally due to a slipping clutch.
I've seen this a couple of times on mine and had to get the clutch packs replaced.