Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just installed ssf 3500

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default just installed ssf 3500

I just got my car back from Dc Motorsports in el Paso, tx. They did at awesome job getting the tc installed and shift kit in 25hrs from friday at 0900 to saturday at 1030 am for only $255. I will be buying tranny cooler next week. They tell me that elevation here is 5000 ft give or take a few. so My best et was a 13.78 before the tc and shift kit. I don't have good tires.I will probably buy slicks next week if I have money. My guess is that it locking and unlocking on the freeway is normal so that does not bug me that much. after tc install there is a noise kind of like a pulley rubbing against a piece of metal. its not bothersome but I am just worried somethings wrong. anyways when i first punched it i felt like my cutout was off, like i had taken off about 100lbs of excess weight and like I was back at the track running my best. because before i would spin to much and not go anywhere out in the streets. It definetly for some reason hooks better than before or maybe its just that it helped that much more. So with the converter and cutout open and all my junk and speakers out of the car hopefully I will notice an even better pull at the track. My shifts are still a little stiff so I need to adjust the base pressure using programmer. I was told that since I now have tc and shift kit that I needed to set my shift timing to the negatives now so that It shifts slower. I wa told this helps? And also should I leave base pressure in the plus or back down to 0 at stock or negatives. any feed back would be good? thanks

2000 ss a4: 4.10 gears, diablo programmer, cutout, lid, velocity stack, 8100ohm resistor on Iat, fernco below, free ram air,k&n, no ac belt, short egr, 160 stat, gutted cats.
new mods: ssf3500, shift kit
future mods: long tube headers and y-pipe, slicks and possible downgrade to 3.73 or 3.42 in gears if I am spinning way to much with tc and 4.10's, asp pulley
Old 06-27-2004, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

I wouldn't know about the base pressure or things about that. But trust me when I say this YOU WILL NOT HOOK WITH REGULAR STREET TIRES. Especially with 4.10s. At the track I spun all through 1st gear all 4 times I ran. I only have 2.73s, THE GRANNY GEARS.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

TC's are sweeeeeeeet. I have a vig.
So much fun!
Old 06-27-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

its the best mod ive done so far.from a stop or slow roll my car gets up and goes unlike before.still has excellent street manners too.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Did I read that correct that your converter keeps locking and unlocking on the highway? And its also making funny sounds? If so take it back. You got a bad one. A buddy of mine just installed the same converter (which I have also) and he had the same problem. He returned it and got another one and its just fine now. Personally i have never had a problem with mine, but your description sounds EXACTLY like the problem he was having.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:25 AM
TECH Addict

yeah if you aren't throwing p0300 or misfires and its unlocking/locking there's something wrong. If you put a cam in at the same time or a bad UD pulley and you are throwing misfires thats normal to never lock or switch back and forth.

if the only thing changed was the TC they may not have installed it right or its bad. Any vibrations out of the ordinary? Trust me a bad TC can ruin a transmission. I killed an old th350 with a bad TC back in the days. one of the bolts sheared (back when i was car-tarded) and the thing started to shake, needless to say it bled trans fluid real quick and the trans was trashed.

g'luck.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:17 PM
Launching!

I took it out this sunday I have got to say that I need better tires, so i will try a few passes with slicks. i know I can ruin the rear end, so what I will do is chck the amount of spinning. If I am spinning too much I will take the gear ratio down to at least 3.73 if not back to stock 3.73. out in the street I it is awesome. but I could not get it to hook right, my tires are shot-bare. about my soundf well itsa sort of a spinning shimmy sound. but u know what I noticed that sound before the verter install. now it is louder. it sounds like a piece of sheet metal spinning and rubbing gainst another piece of metal.