Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

problem with alum finish

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with alum finish

What is the best way to clean alum? I just bought polished aluminum wheels. I drove in the rain one day two days ago and now the wheels have wicked spotting and black stuff that won't come off with any cleaners. Could they have corroded that quickly or are they just crappy alum? My mom's stock alum GM wheels have never had this problem through 2 salty winters in michigan and now my brand new wheels are doing this after one rain. Whats going on?? And how do I fix them?
Old 06-28-2004, 03:20 PM
Teching In

Man I have got the same problem with my crappy Boyds, ugly spots that Mothers Billet and Flitz wont even touch.
Someone has to know of a cleaner that will remove the spots but they aint talking so we can spend a grand on cleaner to find the one that works!
Old 06-28-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

theres some stuff called wenol that works wonders.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by White2kTA
What is the best way to clean alum? I just bought polished aluminum wheels. I drove in the rain one day two days ago and now the wheels have wicked spotting and black stuff that won't come off with any cleaners. Could they have corroded that quickly or are they just crappy alum? My mom's stock alum GM wheels have never had this problem through 2 salty winters in michigan and now my brand new wheels are doing this after one rain. Whats going on?? And how do I fix them?

Ur moms wheels have a clear coat on them...urs do not...do not use any of the so called wheel cleaners on the bare polished aluminum wheels...the clean up guys at my dealership thought they were doing me a favor one day and sprayed that stuff on my polished ZR1's and they looked like they had milk spilled all over them...it took a lot of rubbin with mothers to get them back the way they looked b4 the cleaner...those cleaners have an acid or some chemical that screws up ur shine..ya just gotta use a lot of rubbin and elbow grease to get them right again