Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good LS2 article

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Good LS2 article

Just got the Car Craft LS1 Engine Tech magazine. It has a pic of the LS2 and a cutaway drawing. The article says the similarities of the LS1 and LS2 is like comparing the sbc and LT1. It looks almost exactly like a LS1. Different coil packs, but still has the flesh eater bolts. The block has improved oil galleries and relocated sensors. Of course it has the 90mm intake and tb. Everything else looks the same. The heads are revised versions of the LS6 (bolt on for us it seems) w/ 2.00/1.55 valves. 2 valve. 364ci and 10.9:1 compression. No less than 360lb tq between 2500 and 5800. Looks like we will be able to bolt on the LS2 parts on our motors.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes so I have heard as well.
Looks like some nice bolt on material.
It will be nice to see how the 2 motor work with eachother as far as computer stuff goes.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

I wonder if it will be a problem getting any of the sensors to plug into our wiring harnesses. For example, i think the knock sensor is in a different location, I wonder if the sensor itself is different too.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the part #'s have been released I wonder how long it will be untill
the parts can be purchased. Lets hope the price of the intake is nice and cheap!
Old 06-27-2004, 05:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm curious about the pcm, too. Maybe Ed Wright might start making a killing again lol. I just noticed a front view pic of it on the cover. Except for the intake and coil packs, it looks like an ls1. Waterpump, valve covers, exhaust manifold bolt pattern, headbolts, everything. Even the dipstick tube bolts to the head on the exact location. People in the market for a stroker should hold up a few weeks. This block looks like it will bolt right up in our engine bay.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by P Mack
I wonder if it will be a problem getting any of the sensors to plug into our wiring harnesses. For example, i think the knock sensor is in a different location, I wonder if the sensor itself is different too.
Here are a few things in the article I missed:

Provisions for external knock sensors
15 pounds lighter than an LS1/6
Flat top pistons have lower tension rings and full floating pins
Bigger cam (duh)
Increased oil capacity to 6.5qts
Improved valvesprings

I think the only problem for us will be all the wiring. I'm sure a sponsor will take care of that.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

PCM will be non-compatible with current tuning tools. It has 1024K and better processors than the current 512K PCM. It WILL be tunable though. It seems it shares more with the Duramax LLY Diesel PCM than the C5 Corvette PCM.

Little bird data...
Old 06-27-2004, 06:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
I'm curious about the pcm, too. Maybe Ed Wright might start making a killing again lol. I just noticed a front view pic of it on the cover. Except for the intake and coil packs, it looks like an ls1. Waterpump, valve covers, exhaust manifold bolt pattern, headbolts, everything. Even the dipstick tube bolts to the head on the exact location. People in the market for a stroker should hold up a few weeks. This block looks like it will bolt right up in our engine bay.

I agree. If you are wanting a shortblock in the future you might want to wait.
I believe you can probally have a 370 cubic inch motor very soon w/o haveing any extra weight.
Just like the 6.0 iron block bored 30 over and using a stock crank.
Should be fun to see the LS2 market take off.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by McRat
PCM will be non-compatible with current tuning tools. It has 1024K and better processors than the current 512K PCM. It WILL be tunable though. It seems it shares more with the Duramax LLY Diesel PCM than the C5 Corvette PCM.

Little bird data...
It would be interesting to know which processors they started to use. It is about time they switched from the 16mhz single threaded procs they are using now.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Its pretty awesome that we will be able to use so many of the ls2 parts. When this motor wears out I'm sure an ls2 derivitive is what I'll be getting. I think our rides will possibly be able to last forever given that gm is making this stuff backwards compatible.

Pretty cool stuff, Personally I cannot wait for a nice OEM fit and finish intake. Still have to figure out something about that tb though.