Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What is this? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this? (pics)

What is that yellow spring on the left? It doesn't come from a 10 bolt right? It was on the floor next to everything (had been sitting all winter) so I'm not sure if its part of the posi or something.

And, the c clips do not have any "R" or "L" designation on them. They look exactly the same to me. Are they supposed to be different and used specifically for different sides?

THanks!
Attached Thumbnails What is this?  (pics)-10boltparts.jpg  
Old 06-28-2004, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also I would like to know what kind of posi's these are-

The first one looks to be in good working order except it had a little chip in one of the teeth. Look to the top left gear in the posi and you can barely see the chip. The digital would not focus any closer. I was wondering how long you guys think it would last with a small chip in the gears?

The second one is toast, some teeth on the spider gears are chewed off. I would still like to know what kind of posi it is though for reference. The gears look totally different from the other posi.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails What is this?  (pics)-10boltposi1.jpg   What is this?  (pics)-10boltposi2.jpg  
Old 06-28-2004, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

New probelem-

This pin will not fit into this posi like it did the one it came out of (second posi in previous post)

Obviously the two posi's use different parts to keep the axles from releasing the clips. What "pin" or "block" do I need to get to bolt in to the center of this posi?
Attached Thumbnails What is this?  (pics)-10boltpin.jpg  
Old 06-28-2004, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok the first pic is a spring that came out of the Auborn diff. the auburn diff was the second one in the second post, and the first posi in the second post is a torsen. the torsen needs a block looking "pin". the one you have is for the auborn.
They are both trash. but if you REALLY NEED one to drive on put in the torsen and try to take it easy. you will need that 'block" style pin though. oh and the c clips doesn't really matter how you [put them in.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Default Posi Trac

The first picture looks like an Auburn unit and the second looks like the Torsen. If the other gears in the Auburn are not broken or chipped, you can replace the small gears. That is easy and cheap to do. I would take the Auburn out and inspect for all signs of damage. The Torsen is less forgiven with chipped parts. The Torsen only needs the block paddle instead of the large round pin. I will try to post a picture of the Torsen with a paddle installed the right way. [IMG]http://[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails What is this?  (pics)-f-car-front.jpg