Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad seal on Knock Sensor = Oil Consumption?

Old 06-28-2004, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Bad seal on Knock Sensor = Oil Consumption?

I'm in the middle of adding some things: heads, cam, LS6 intake, replace leaking power steering pump, change to LS6 PCV system.

The car consumes about 1 qt of oil every 1000 miles. Spark plugs were all powdery white from the oil. The PCV 'outlet' on the back of throttle body (inside) was covered in fresh oil. The whole motor has a nice coat of black on the innards.

When I got the intake off there was some oil around the seal over the rear knock sensor. Removing the LS1 valley cover revealed oil all in that "tube" on the valley cover that 'shrouds' that sensor. The entire sensor, connector, all was stained with oil. Is this 'leak' related to oil consumption or is it just another leak?

Also those knock sensors look pretty robust and unaffected by oil. Is there any argument for replacing them?

Thanks guys!
Old 06-28-2004, 10:06 PM
I can shift faster than you.

Originally Posted by RCowan
Is this 'leak' related to oil consumption or is it just another leak?
No, it is just another leak. This is a pretty common problem on the LS1 motor. It is hard to find one that doesn't leak a little oil past the seal.

The knock sensors should be OK, though. Just clean them up (and wires) real good and re-install.

Jason
Old 06-28-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine crapped out ( front knock sensor ) and when I pulled it it was covered in a nice coat of oil. Not exactly sure how it got in there . . . . best guess is my big funnel overflowed and some got down under the intake through those little runners/ gaps. Anyways if your not getting a code your fine . . . . for now .
Old 06-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Staging Lane

Change the knock sensor and check the clip and harness. My oil did that and baked the knock sensor. The car was running 12.2s and started slowing down. 12.4s, 12.6s 12.8s and then finally it threw a SES for the rear knock sensor. I had to replace the sensor and part of the wiring harness as the oil had cooked it. Check the white button like clip that goes on to the knock sensor. If it is brittle from heat you are definately going to have problems.

Jess

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad seal on Knock Sensor = Oil Consumption?