PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash lit up like a birthday cake...

Old 06-29-2004, 12:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash lit up like a birthday cake...

I was driving home tonight after visiting my parents house. I know my brakes are bad, because it shudders slightly under heavy braking, and the shuddering is getting a little worse every day. The SES light is on, and I had an appointment to take it into have that looked at and the brakes done, but an emergency came up that I couldn't make it.

On the drive home today I had to get into the brakes kinda hard because of a deer and all seemed to be well. It shuddered like always, but it stopped fine. Nothing abnormal happened at all. Then I was stopping at a stop sign and I gently put on the brakes like normal when my dash lit up. The ASR Off light when on (and my ASR switch went off) the ABS In Op light came on, the low trac light and my brake light came on. I didn't hit the brakes hard at all, but it seemed to retain it's braking ability. On top of all that, the pannel where the ASR switch is was hot to the touch, so hot that I could only leave my finger on it for a few seconds before it actually started to hurt.

When I got home I shut the car off, let it sit for a minute, turned it back on and the only light that was still going was the SES light. What the heck is wrong with the car and should I put the nix on driving it at all until I get it to the dealer?

Thanks all.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I’m not sure about the ASR but if there is a light on the switch it will get very warm while the light is on.

The brake problem is due to warped rotors... the wheels help hold the rotors in place… if you take the wheels off and not tighten them down to the right spec 100 foot pounds then they will move and warp under hard braking.

Now for the SES light you will need the codes pulled from the pcm… AutoZone can do it and it’s free… just tell then you have a check light on.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:51 PM
Teching In

I figured the rotors were warped. Warped rotors could explain the ABS In Op light and the brake light to come on?

Anyways, thanks for the info.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:33 PM
Teching In

ttt... I'd love to avoid a trip to the dealer if I can get some info.

Thanks again.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the SES light is still on, you need to find out why.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:53 PM
10 Second Club

Ive had all the lights come on in the dash when I have a altenator ready to go out or a weak battery.

Search this Thread