Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans is "holding" back until second gear . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans is "holding" back until second gear . . .

Took my car to the track this weekend, with my new tranny/TC setup (see sig). At launch, the trans feels like it is holding back until it shifts into second and then it feels like a freight train hits ya from behind. I tried launching from different RPM’s and at idle, but was only cutting 1.8 60fts and a best time of 12.5 on motor and 11.5 with NXL 180shot.
I thought I was doing something wrong, so I had another guy take it down the track and you can definently tell when it shifts – car really wakes up and the rear end squats down. His impression was the same as mine – something is not shifting right, it feels like the trans is holding me back. He said it was bogging off the line pretty hard. A lot of the guys I talked too said with my mods I should be in the mid-high 10’s on spray and 11’s on motor. Raceweight was 3800lbs (convertible) and this was on slicks and skinnies.

Any thoughts? Could it be the 3600 stall? Or the trans?
(I have a video, so as soon as I can get it I will post it up so you can see)

Last edited by MeanWS6; 06-29-2004 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-30-2004, 07:00 PM
Banned

I had the same problem on a new th350 a few years back. There was a problem with something sealing in the valvebody if i remember right. It was a random fluke as far as I know.

But when you were in first gear it was engaging the 3rd gear clutchs as well as the 1st, and they were fighting each other (and the clutches looked not so good when we pulled it apart).

It felt exactly like you describe... like you were pushing against something almost like holding the brakes on slightly or something, and the moment it hit 2nd gear it would haul ***.

I think you have the same problem...and i would guess the clutches are hurt from this happeneing...have it pulled and checked out
Old 07-03-2004, 10:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MeanWS6
Took my car to the track this weekend, with my new tranny/TC setup (see sig). At launch, the trans feels like it is holding back until it shifts into second and then it feels like a freight train hits ya from behind. I tried launching from different RPM’s and at idle, but was only cutting 1.8 60fts and a best time of 12.5 on motor and 11.5 with NXL 180shot.
I thought I was doing something wrong, so I had another guy take it down the track and you can definently tell when it shifts – car really wakes up and the rear end squats down. His impression was the same as mine – something is not shifting right, it feels like the trans is holding me back. He said it was bogging off the line pretty hard. A lot of the guys I talked too said with my mods I should be in the mid-high 10’s on spray and 11’s on motor. Raceweight was 3800lbs (convertible) and this was on slicks and skinnies.

Any thoughts? Could it be the 3600 stall? Or the trans?
(I have a video, so as soon as I can get it I will post it up so you can see)
You can test it by trying this.
Put you tranny in manual 1(first gear on the selector)
You can try this on grass or pavement.
If you tranny is ok it should feel like normal first gear.
If your tranny is messed up you can feel a definate drag and when you left off the gas it will feel like you are applying the brake...the car will come to a sudden stop. if on grass the rear tires will actually lock up.
You do not need to romp on it just ease off to about 10 mph and let off gas, as above if it cost freely look for other problems like pinion angle.
If it drags it means you band is engaged, this could be the result of the servo pin being to long or a wrarped sunshell or incorrect valving.
hope this helps.