Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something to share about an experience swapping an LS1 from a GTO to F-Body

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something to share about an experience swapping an LS1 from a GTO to F-Body

Right now that the GTO is out im sure alot of people will be buying LS1s that might have come off a GTO. I am doing that right now and putting a stock LS1 from a Lumina SS (similiar the the GTO here in the Middle East) into my F-Body. Other than some minor things, the main thing is the oil pan which is moved forward unlike in f-bodies where the sump is backward of the F-Body LS1. I have attached some pictures of the difference while I was swapping. The pan had to be removed from the GTO's ls1 and replaced with my f-body one. the windage tray also had to be removed and replaced with the f-body's. The location of the oil filter is different, and also the oil dipstick on the GTO is going through the the oil pan whereas on the f-body through the block. The last 2 pictures are what i saw when i pulled the transmission out. You can see how well i cleaned the bolt hole before putting the last bolt in the passenger side head and how i broke a piece of my block

Sorry for the bad pictures but just thought i would share today's experience, incase it hasnt been posted before!

Mahmood
Attached Thumbnails Something to share about an experience swapping an LS1 from a GTO to F-Body-cimg0094.jpg   Something to share about an experience swapping an LS1 from a GTO to F-Body-cimg0087.jpg   Something to share about an experience swapping an LS1 from a GTO to F-Body-cimg0065.jpg   Something to share about an experience swapping an LS1 from a GTO to F-Body-cimg0060.jpg  
Old 06-30-2004, 02:19 AM
Teching In

Cool pics. Good luck with the install and hope all goes well.

Atlas
Old 06-30-2004, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Don't feel to bad. I've seen a profesional shop do the same thing with the head bolt holes. Good luck with it.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Just having the right tools makes all the difference. Now I have a compressor and I can easily clean the bolt holes with compressed air and not worry about having some left over coolant that fell in there or something.

Mahmood
Old 06-30-2004, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too hydrolocked a bolt hole ... and it was after using compressed air in all the holes.

The thing is, just blowing INTO the hole doesn't assure the hole is evacuated. So I put a short piece of old brake line on the end of a piece of rubber tubing and connected the tubing to my air gun. Shove the hard brake line into the hole till it bottoms out and the blow the air.

You will be surprised how much debris comes out ...