Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

with Convo Pros and BFG275/50/15 and skinnies what reduction to expect?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2002, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default with Convo Pros and BFG275/50/15 and skinnies what reduction to expect?

Can my 60 ft be improved on (with my stock motor) as well as some ET. before-12.60/109/1.75-60ft(245/50/16-nitto) or am I tapped out already with those numbers I've run? I've already got the new setup mounted.
Old 06-02-2002, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: with Convo Pros and BFG275/50/15 and skinnies what reduction to expect?

Do you have an automatice or 6 spd. If auto--with torque convertor and adjustable shocks your sixty foot would come down IMHO. Don't have any experience with 6 spd.
Old 06-02-2002, 09:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: with Convo Pros and BFG275/50/15 and skinnies what reduction to expect?

I managed to shed 64# of rotational weight by swapping over to a set of Convo Pros for track use. I was running my 17x8" Boyd Coddington Timeless 5's with 245/45/17's on the front and stock Z28 rims on the rear with ET Streets mounted up. With the 60' held constant, you'll see .1-.15 from the reduced rotational mass and rolling resistence. It netted me just over .1 in the 1/4. You might be able to cut a few hundredths off of your 60' with the reduced weight, but I wouldn't expect more than .02-.03.
Old 06-08-2002, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Trevor,

How do those 9" Hoosiers bite compared to the 11.5 E/T Streets you previously ran?

Also, does the front caliper clear the inside diameter of the wheel, or does the small backspace just let it run inside the rim?

I am considering the Convo Pros also, but am considering a 5 or 6 for the front and 8, 9, or 10 for the rear. Do you think, from looking at your fit, that I will have to grind the calipers to run these sizes?

Thanks for the info.

Also, Nice car!!
Old 06-09-2002, 11:11 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's no comparison! The Hoosiers bite a LOT harder than the ET Streets ever could. It's an excellent tire.

As for the wheels, you don't have to grind any on the calipers, nor do you have to run a spacer, to get them to fit. The problem with running a wider Convo Pro on the rear is that the max backspacing you can get for the wheel is 5.5", so it will stick out a LOT if you go with a wider rim. This is why I chose the 7.5" wide rim. That's also why people will choose the Draglites or Pro Stars when they need a 10" wide wheel. You can get 7"+ BS on those.
Old 06-10-2002, 05:57 PM
Teching In

Due to not initially ordering the centterline correct lugs for the wheels, I finally have my Convo Pro set-up mounted and it's great to say the least. 40= lbs reduced on wheels and tires (275/50/15-BFG D.R. and Cooper 165R15-fronts). Not only does it look good (DRAG)it handles exceptionally well during normal street tire driving that the mundane public laws require. I think this setup should offset my SLP frame connectors quite well in the weight department, as well as give the drag look as well as all alround street and track performance. I should hope that 12.6 ETs shouldn't be a problem with this stock motored 2001 Z: At any well prepped track, talk about driveability- did somebody say RAIN? The law reqires that you slow down to fit the conditions-enough said.
Old 06-10-2002, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Under the same conditions I think this auto car should cut .05 lower, but all in all between the look, the tightness and consistency I think My car is the stock bolt on bargain. Drive this 12.6 car any where and expect not being stranded problems except if some track happens to really lay down some serious stick then maybe the 3.73 and SY3500 may become suspect. But I've heard of ten second runs on the old ten bolt- did hear One less bolt is better,lol. (If I have to go Ford I will) I might but so far to say it's all SLP and no DTC or broken parts. I think these are the good old muscle car days, nah it must be a dream. And by the way I drove the car to a momentarially 110 and no handling issues what so ever. It's in the garage now and it's time to get the "68 Dart back into street killer condition, and as you know you've always have to have at least one weapon ready for duty. If you wonder why this post is so long , my girlfriend hasn't called in at least 15 minutes, thanks for the break, baby.