Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Problems

Ok, First off I just replaced my transmission in my 97 Z28 4L60-E, The tranny I replaced it with came out of an Imapala. I figured the trannys should be the same so I switch them out and everything.Well as soon as I crank it the ses light comes on witch says the light is on because of a transmission manfacturer code. I clear the code and the light stays on. So the next day I take it to a local automotive shop. On the way there the car shifted perfect no problems at all out of it. Well I go pick it up today the SES light is off but the tranny wont go in fourth gear and slips in and out of 3rd gear. They said they replaced a TCC PWM SOLENOID and a TCC SOLENOID. 140 buck in that and a 7.00 pan gasket. Total comes up to 260 bucks. It there any way to fix the tranny without costing a whole lot.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:35 AM
Launching!

I need to know exactly what code it was. It also depends on what year transmission you used. '93-94 are different, '95 is different and '96-97 are different again. Try and find out what the code was (i.e. P1886, etc...) and what year Impala the tranny came out of.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TeamTripp
I need to know exactly what code it was. It also depends on what year transmission you used. '93-94 are different, '95 is different and '96-97 are different again. Try and find out what the code was (i.e. P1886, etc...) and what year Impala the tranny came out of.
the tranny was out of a 93 Impala the code was a 0196 or 0198 or something Im not sure exactly the lights is not on no more so I cant really check.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Banned

Default ummmm

Hey your running a non pwm tranny in a pwm car.......ergo the conflict. the 93-94 4l60e transmission were on/off lock up trannys. In 1997 the trannys were pwm style lock up . in the 93 you have only twelve pins in the trans connector , with the 95 and above you have an extra pin ....thirteen total. In short you can not do what your trying to do with the transmission you have. you must have a 1996 and above transmission.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rock-On
Hey your running a non pwm tranny in a pwm car.......ergo the conflict. the 93-94 4l60e transmission were on/off lock up trannys. In 1997 the trannys were pwm style lock up . in the 93 you have only twelve pins in the trans connector , with the 95 and above you have an extra pin ....thirteen total. In short you can not do what your trying to do with the transmission you have. you must have a 1996 and above transmission.
Exactly. Another difference is the style of 3-2 control. '95 and prior used a PWM control 3-2 setup. '96 and later are ON/OFF. Valvebodies, spacer plates, solenoids and internal harnesses are different.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:41 PM
Teching In

So your telling me theres no way this thing will work.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ShadowStorm7
So your telling me theres no way this thing will work.
what cars and what years and what models could I get a tranny out of it to work properly.
Old 07-03-2004, 04:43 PM
Launching!

You can use just about any '96-'97 4L60-E as long as it doesn't have the removable bellhousing. If you don't use an F-body trans, you will have to swap over the extension housing. B-body and F-body transmissions use the same case, trucks and other vehicles used a slightly different case, but have seen them work.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Default rebuild

Right now I have 3 trannys and they are
1.LS1 tranny
2.97 Z28 tranny no good but needs internal work
3.The imapala tranny

my main question is there any way I could rebuild my factory tranny myself and so where to get rebuild kit.
what i should do and what tools i will need and are there any books on it.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Right now I have 3 trannys and they are
1.LS1 tranny
2.97 Z28 tranny no good but needs internal work
3.The imapala tranny

my main question is there any way I could rebuild my factory tranny myself and so where to get rebuild kit.
what i should do and what tools i will need and are there any books on it.
Yeah, you could totally rebuild your transmission by yourself. All you would need is years of experience, hundreds of dollars in specialized tools, and two backups to use while you mess up your first two or three. Leave it to the pros.
Trust me.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:48 PM
Teching In

I am 17 years old and race stock cars all over the south east and I am always up for a challenge when you race cars you kind of get used to challenges. Leave it to the pros and I wouldn't never win a race if I can build motors and rearends I am sure I could do a transmission. TeamTripp I will probably be giving you a call shortly on some parts so stay by the phone.
Old 07-03-2004, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am 17 years old and race stock cars all over the south east and I am always up for a challenge when you race cars you kind of get used to challenges. Leave it to the pros and I wouldn't never win a race if I can build motors and rearends I am sure I could do a transmission. TeamTripp I will probably be giving you a call shortly on some parts so stay by the phone.
OK then, do it yourself. Let us know how bad it ends up. Not trying to be a dick, but I used to be head-mechanic at a transmission shop, and saw many be rebuilt. You're 17, and from how it sounds you are good with tools. I've been working on cars 10 years longer than you have, and I wouldn't do my own transmission, as thats not my specialty. If I had been building transmissions for at least SOME of that time, I might attempt it. I'm telling you, it's not easy. But like I said, go ahead, **** it up. Have fun.

Quick Reply: Serious Problems